Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got an Astra MK3 with trip computer how easy is it to fit a sony head unit and boot changer and will it affect the computer.

Im not great at fitting stereos so any advice will help. :D

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
A friend has a P reg astra. He has replaced his for another. All that happens is obviously you don't get the station number on the display. When you turn your sony HU on, the date will disapear on the display. If you cut one of the wires behind the LCD, the date appears once again. Which wire itis I'm not sure but I guess someone else will.

The stereo is held in by small clips - be careful when trying to remove it as they break very easily. I put a small screwdriver down the holes and broke them. I ended out taking a chisel and hammer to the thing!!

Easiest thing would be to take it to a vaux dealer and ask them to quickly remove it for you. It shouldn't cost you anything as it only takes a minute with the right clip tool they have. Alternatly you could buy the tool but I don't reckon that'd be worth it.

Well, hope I was some help.

mark

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
The first thing is to remove the old one, and you can buy a pair of removal tools from Halfords for a couple of quid. They fit in the holes and the the old unit should just pull out.

My stereo would put it up on the display if I had one. It is quite common for the stereo to work the display, just check before you buy that it does if that is what you want.

All new head units use a standard plug now so all you will need is an adaptor (£10 from Halfords etc.) that converts the plugs in your car to the ones on the stereo.

Your changer depends on the make but should come with the cables to connect it to the head unit and should be straight forward, just plug it in at each end.

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: The Masked Marauder ]

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
The two positives will be the wrong way round on his car. The adapter plug seems a waste for two wires I know, but I had a hell of a job changing them over on a Corsa cos Vaux don't leave any slack in the cables now a days... :( :( :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
The HU removal tool can be made from a coat hanger! Just cut two 6 inch lengths and bend in a U shape.

You probably won't even need an adaptor as most stereo's will plug straight in now, though often you need to swap the two power cables over (continuous and ignition switched) but most manufacturers give you the facility to change them easily (usually yellow and red wires).

Re. CD changer, I've always previously mounted these in the boot, but mine was skipping a lot in the Cav as the suspension is quite hard, so I've put it in the glove box - easier job ever, saves running the wiring down the car and, because it's in the middle of the car, the ride is better so it doesn't skip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.