Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
Make sure you dial gauge the block after its honed, and be careful with your ring gaps.

(if you havent got access to a dial gauge, just check the ring gap every 1 inch down the bore)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dial gauge, ring gaps.. gotcha. I must admit, this is all new. BUT.. I'm being careful (I think) and I'm asking the right people.

Chip - you appear to have done this recently! I haven't a dial guage and I guess they aren't cheap (for a one use build). But I'll see what I can find. Ta!

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
If you cant get hold of a dial guage, just gap the rings every inch, that will give you a very good indication of the shape of the bore.

any more than about 1.5 thousands of an inch variation on the ring gap is too much (this equates to about half a thousandth of the diameter)
sadly you cant check if the bores are oval this way, but at least you can check if they are straight.

Chip

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
south cerney enginering done all my measuring and boring cost me 430 pound but they checked cleaned and polished re surfaced the head and block every thing if you want to build a good engine its not about how cheap you can get the work done of its havin the best

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
Gary swears by south cerney too i believe, but i bet he still checks everything anyway.

jonix, yes most do, the best ones are the old school boys who have a vat of chemicals out the back that have been illegal for 30 years cause of the environmental implications!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.