Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has done simular or you could give me an idea of the sort of power I can expect. It's the famous C20XE

Standard engine - With the following

High Performance Leads
Bosch Rally Plugs
Powercap
3.5 bar fpr
Chipped ECU
K&N 57i Induction
Magnex 4 - 1 manifold
Powerflow freeflow exhaust

With those mods, what would you expect to achieve? I have a figure in my head I want to hit this year without serious engine work or TB's.
Curious to what you guys think, to see if I am looking for to much.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I've no idea what you'd get on that, but I'd be suprised if all that lot would give you an extra 20bhp and cost you less than £500.

What i can tell you, is that for less than that you could get a set of GSX-R throttle bodies (or Fireblade/Blackbird carbs) bolted on and running and giving you more power than you'll get with your mods. Its been done loads before and there are plenty of threads on here and www.locostbuilders.co.uk.

If you go the carbs route (which isn't as crap as it sounds!) then pretty much all you need is a manifold (http://www.boggbros.co.uk) (who can also supply the carbs all jetted to suit too), and a dizzy from a 1.6 cav, fuel hose and a FPR which is capable of dropping the pressure down to suit the carbs.

The carb route won't be quite as good as the TB's, but cheaper to implement.

·
91,273 Posts
If your starting with a good std engine, putting out 157bhp as std, then you might see a 10bhp increase, but untill you get before and after rr graphs your not gonna know. Your heping the breathing, but thats it, to get bigger gains on std man you wanna look at cams and headwork.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
10bhp from that, I know it's not a huge gain, but I would expect more than 10 ponies from that little lot?

·
91,273 Posts
You want an honest answer, or a Max Power answer?

High Performance Leads - Makes better spark, don't know what ones, they may be the same as std beru leads, just a fancy colour, and price.

Bosch Rally Plugs - Makes better spark, don't know what plugs so don't know if they are hot or cold, etc.

Powercap - Aids air intake, in tests has been found to help torque, but loose bhp overall, and generally shifts power, not really increase it as such.

3.5 bar fpr - usless IMO, i have a 300bhp LET, and i run 3.5 bar, why on an XE do you need that much pressure?

Chipped ECU - What ecu? Unichip/Superchips/ebay? Its only as good as the mapper, if its mappable, if its of the shelf its poo! 5bhp

K&N 57i Induction - Aids breathing, unless it has a decent box and cold air feed it'll be sucking in hot air, thus making it slower. A std airbox, drilled, with cold air feeds and a decent panel filter will be better!

Magnex 4 - 1 manifold - Once again, better breathing, heat wrap/ceramic coat it to keep heat away from the bay. 2-3bhp

Powerflow freeflow exhaust - what bore? but again aids breathing. 2-3bhp

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
in all honesty i think you iwll see STD book power.... because the engine is old and probalby worn a bit etc so not on book power to begin with, then you add these mods and bang there you got, back to std power. Yes i know it sounds rubbish but hey thats life.
The Leads and "rally" plugs (lmao) wont do much
the power cap has a mixed rating, some say it loses power
3.5Bar fpr.. might give you bore wash till the ecu works out its overfulling
chipped ecu... increased rev limit and runs the cold start map all the time lmao
intake and exhaust things will help a little.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I brought the redtop off a guy here, he said it was the best running redtop he has owned, though you may say everyone would say that, I am inclined to believe him, so I am pretty confident it's not going to be running anything drastically under stand book speed from the off.

The chip is a M-Tech, along with 4 Bosch high pro plugs with the 3.5 bar fpr (run on 98 ron or higher grade fuel) taken from V-Tuning they say 20 bhp (I say bull lol) but still I think 7 bhp from that, manifold 4-5 bhp, Induction well known to run well on the DOHC 16v 2-3 BHP (crap fitted to the Eco) free-flow zaust no gains just sound. Powercap increases Torque (this wins races not BHP) The performance leads are black and already on the engine, so no fancy colours here :)

I was hoping for around 165/170, though from my 115 standard lump I have now even a 150 engine will be fun for a while.

Thanks for the honest answers guys, and no Max Power crap here please, lets keep it real lol

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
if the chip and FPR are matched then fine, if not u will be losing power with that fpr on there

olly hewitt had an XE with throttle bodies, 4branch manifold etc and it made about 185bhp iirc

i cant see your engine being over 165 even if it was brand new with those mods and assuming the fuel/ignition maps on that chip were spot on

1 - 10 of 10 Posts