Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
Most cars after a certain age (think its 1994 or something) have ODBII on them. This is a computer protocol which you can use to monitor just about anything on the engine (afr/rpm/temp etc)

You can pick up an interface for a computer which will plug into the ODBII system and give you a "virtual dashboard".

Have a look at http://www.autotap.com/ for some pics and details.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it worth buying one of these Manufacturer specific packages, or will the cheaper default one do? Which do you lot have?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
V6 Pete said:
Is it worth buying one of these Manufacturer specific packages, or will the cheaper default one do? Which do you lot have?
Sorry, I meant the "enchanced" one, not a default one as they cost even more

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
Not got one I'm afraid - I've got a 1991 car :(

Follow the links and do a bit of research. There are places who sell kits to cover most cars which you can build yourself for around the £50 mark.

Dom

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After taking a good look at this it seems if it did fit it is only designed for reviewing, it doesn't have the ability to change values, tune or access the ABS and traction Control Systems.

Is there any kit out there which can do all of the above as well? Or is it restricted to Vauxhall main dealers only?

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
23,727 Posts
:( cant help there.

As I say - I've only had older cars so I've got no experience on the ODBII stuff.

Sorry :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok no prob, the chances are I will mess things up if I did have access to the systems anyway. Just would have been nice to be able to tinker that was all.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
You can read the fault codes of any ECU controled Vauxhall upto about 1997-1998 using the apaer clip method. However you can NOT change the values.

After that time on newer models, as mentined, the stndards have changed to ODBII, were before all these Bosch and Motronic ECUs etc were only ODBI and they didn't all stick to the rules.

Anyway, to change values you need a TECH1 or TECH2 reader which I belive you can only get if your a VX franciser.

However the good news there are aftermarket ECU readers out there like Haynes, Sykes-Pickvand etc. But they are BOT cheap, saw some for £1000 on the net, and they typicaly go up in price and not down. You only want to buy this stuff if your doing devolment work.

Otherwsie you can replace your std ECU with an aftermarket item and they allow you to connect up a laptop and reprogramme all the settings when on a rolling road.

But with ODBII complient, you can connect up your palm PDA with the correct cable and software (avaible from America) and ou can view the settings and change them. So buy a new car :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting stuff, cheers. I guess I won't properly know what mine is, being a 1997 Cally.

I think the after market chip sounds good justification to me though :)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
V6 Pete said:
I think the after market chip sounds good justification to me though :)
What as in superchip?
If this is for your V6 I would do the engine modifcations first and THEN buy/install the Unichip. Expensive at £400 but makes best use of your engine modes. A superchip on a normally aspriated engine can be disapointing at times.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts