Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How how many thousand miles should i run in my re-built engine?? heres what its had done as far as re-building go's;

pistons, rods and crank were all fine so no replacements needed
bores were fine so no skimming etc needed
new water pump
oil pump
piston rings
big end bearings/shells
lifters
stem seals
arp rod bolts put in
new cams (courtenay)
all gaskets replaced
think thats it but may be 1 or 2 other things.

let me know what u think please. thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Theres a million different opinion about run in but generally 1 thousand mile is when you switch to synthtic oil and run in is over. Before this point use mineral oil and change the oil and filter regular.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks.

what ive been told so far is change the oil after 500 miles and run in the engine around 3k miles.
starting off with semi synthetic oil from vauxhall,, that ok??

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
On a fresh build i use mineral oil and change at 50 mile,100 mile,250 mile, 500 mile,then on the 1k mile change to synthetic.
Synthetic from fresh is not a good idea as it protects the bores to well and hinders the rings abilty to bed into the bore,which is probably the most important aspect of run in.
Running in for 3k aswell is a bit on the safe side,who told you to do that?

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
3k?!?!?!?! wtf...
run it in fairly keenly but not labouring it (eg nice clean runs from say 20-60 then lift off and engine brake down to 20 and repeat)
as said run chewy cheap 20/50 style mineral oil first for 50 miles, drop that then run slightly "better" 15/40 mineral oil for the nect 2-300 miles and change again.. a further 200 miles then it should be pretty much run in

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
oh and dont forget the cam running in procedure of straight to high revs no load for a few mins.

and also when bedding stem seals in dont keep the engine at constant revs

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Yeah 3k is too safe(famous last words) I'm usually on 100% throttle but with low boost from 500-1k miles,then set it up an let is av some.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
go out, cain the crap out of it for the first 30 miles not going above about 4500rpm and using no more than 70% throttle, the change the oil for mineral oil, by 100 miles the rings will be bedded in, but its just nice to take things steady ish for a few hundred miles to look out for any problems, and whatever you do DO NOT use semi/fullly synth oil in the running in period.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
s111aag said:
just read all of that page,, makes sense but obviously a bit scary to do on an engine ive just spent a small fortune on,,, would you do it? or has anyone else done it??
i'm doing it at present, 250 miles so far and sweet as a nut.. i hope anywaylmao

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
s111aag said:
just read all of that page,, makes sense but obviously a bit scary to do on an engine ive just spent a small fortune on,,, would you do it? or has anyone else done it??
i wrecked 2 engines being a pussy! you wanna make sure that you give it some throttle and load (up hill etc ) don't go on a motorway and sit at 3000rpm or whatever, basically you need to be either accelerating or deaccelerating "No cruising"
i.e accelerate in 5th from 40mph to 90 or what ever speed 3500rpm is in 5th,do it at 20% throttle then 30 then 40 then 50 then 60,70,80,90% etc
i virtually ran no boost either until 3-400 miles next time i will use 5psi from the off.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
leesturbo said:
got some boost going in i hope ? (small tho)
yep, using the boost also.. altho at one point i somehow forgot what i was doing and hit about 1 bar :eek: :D Seems ok tho touch wood!:nod:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts