Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to fit a larger radiator in my Mk3 Astra to cope with the extra heat output from the turbo engine. I was wondering if the Cavalier turbo rad would fit into the Astra engine bay. If not, whats the largest rad from the Astra range that'll fit?

:beer:

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
Stefan said:
Hi All,

I want to fit a larger radiator in my Mk3 Astra to cope with the extra heat output from the turbo engine. I was wondering if the Cavalier turbo rad would fit into the Astra engine bay. If not, whats the largest rad from the Astra range that'll fit?

Stefan I use a new 2.0 16v GTE rad in my car and don't get any overheating problems at all :)

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
What's the mounts like Rob? Does it have the connections in the right place, and the connection for the turbo hose? What about the Calibra V6 rad?

Mine needs reasonable speed to keep things cool at the moment. :(

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
ChrisB said:
What's the mounts like Rob? Does it have the connections in the right place, and the connection for the turbo hose? What about the Calibra V6 rad?

Mine needs reasonable speed to keep things cool at the moment. :(
Chris you need to change the bottom and top hose for XE items and obviously use a metal XE fan, works really well though on mine though and hasnt really overheated at all. Also removes the crappy intercooler outta the way and moves the rad away from the turbo slightly :D

Ps Rad slots straight in if you move the rubber feet in the lower panel :D

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
A turbo converted engine, don't will work more hotter than a standard engine. If this work more hotter, have some problem in instalation(maybe low oil pressure).
My C20NE is turbo converted, and this work in the same temperature that is before turbo converted, and i using the standard radiator.

Cheers!

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
As long as the turbo isnt restricted on the exhaust side (IE no or very little reversion present) and the fuelling is set up right the std rad should cope ok. Since I removed the KKK unit that is one of the biggest benefits ive seen.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RDS said:
As long as the turbo isnt restricted on the exhaust side (IE no or very little reversion present) and the fuelling is set up right the std rad should cope ok. Since I removed the KKK unit that is one of the biggest benefits ive seen.
My turbo setup is very similar in size to the kkk setup (see below). So I know there is going to be some reversion. The exterior of the car is stock merit so the bumper doesn't have the same open area of the Gsi one and there will be an intercooler in front of the rad. From other threads I've seen the LET's seem to run on the hot side in the Mk3's. So you can see, that with nearly double the stock 2.0L 8v hp, I'm a bit concerned about rad choice.

Do any of the Astra diesels have larger rads? Diesels seem to in other marques :confused:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matheus428 said:
with this small hot part turbine, your engine will request help when arrive 5000rpm.

Don´t expect much final power. You don´t will have lag, but don´t will have high power.
The turbo has been modified since that pic was taken to help it at the top end. I'm only aiming for ~200hp at the crank which the turbo is capable of supporting.

I could email you some pics of my project if you want to check it out :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.