Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking about getting one of these to improve grip in cornering and also for 1/4 mile starts. The only problem is the price, around 500 notes plus new bearings and speedo ring. Weekenny has kindly agreed to help with the fitting, so that should be no problem as he has done one on his car. What do you guys think, is it worth it or would the money be better spent elsewhere at the moment. I am happy enough with the engine's power and brakes at the moment but want to improve the roadholding and cornering for fast B road driving.

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
Steveboyslim on here sells them new for 425.

If you are careful you can re-use the speedo ring, i did and so did mongo off here.
You want to be fitting new bearings though, personally i did half a job on that as i was in a rush and i just fitted the bearings to the diff and left the other half in the carriers as they were unmarked but mine was a very low mileage unit for an f20 (about 30K).

Chip

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gary said:
for handling, in a light powerful fwd, they're worth it - but the 1/4 thing is a partial myth - they don't improve straightline grip at all really, just compensate if you can't balance the power/grip very well.
The car is a fairly light (no heavy ICE etc) corsa 1.6 on TB with about 150 bhp. Wheelspin off the line isn't too bad as the car only has about 100 lb/ft, but going into corners using a bit of revs the car understeers a bit and feels like the grip isn't really there, has me backing off all the time. not sure if it is the diff, or whether uprated antiroll bars, lowered tie bars etc would help more. The car runs a pretty good eibach/bilstein spring/ damper set up.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
not sure how much benefit it would be in a car with lower torque (mines on an xe pushing about 175lbft) - but the cars quite light, so I think you would get some advantage - if you track it, then it's probably worth going for.

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
still worth looking at other options as well though, like roll bars and things, most important thing though has to be the tyres, it makes SO much difference getting the right tyres.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chip said:
Steveboyslim on here sells them new for 425.

If you are careful you can re-use the speedo ring, i did and so did mongo off here.
You want to be fitting new bearings though, personally i did half a job on that as i was in a rush and i just fitted the bearings to the diff and left the other half in the carriers as they were unmarked but mine was a very low mileage unit for an f20 (about 30K).

Chip
That is a much better price, is that including vat do you know? Do you think it is worth the money chip, considering what the car is mainly used for (fast B road driving and 1/4 miles)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
one of the quickest cars I ever saw at Combe was a Corsa XE on tb's - white car, can't remember the fellas user name - but it absolutely flew :)

plate diff though iirc - you could see how it was helping... in the way he could drive right round the outside of other cars, lol.

·
Registered
9,212 Posts
The nova's in Rallycross run severe plate diffs. You can see when they start to apply power, the car appears to be on rails. As soon as they hit the apex, it's foot to the floor, and off they go. Very impressive.

The quaife diff is much easier to drive on the road though, so definately the better option if you drive the car on a daily basis, etc. It also never actually locks, so it doesn't really bite, whereas plate diff's do.

You will notice a big improvement with it. It would be a toss up between that, and saving a bit more for a SCCR gearset, as that would also make a big difference.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
AJBek said:
The car is a fairly light (no heavy ICE etc) corsa 1.6 on TB with about 150 bhp. Wheelspin off the line isn't too bad as the car only has about 100 lb/ft, but going into corners using a bit of revs the car understeers a bit and feels like the grip isn't really there, has me backing off all the time. not sure if it is the diff, or whether uprated antiroll bars, lowered tie bars etc would help more. The car runs a pretty good eibach/bilstein spring/ damper set up.
Did you get your strut brace or headed tank yet or did you cancel the order?

Yup your car is very light mate and 150hp...understated it a little IMO

I really think its the way to go for you, there really isn't much else you can do now to your car except this! I've been a few different corsa's all using different wheels/tyres/shocks and they all understeer quite a bit so i would say no combo of suspension/wheels is going to fully fix your problem mate i think you need the diff

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
AJBek said:
That is a much better price, is that including vat do you know? Do you think it is worth the money chip, considering what the car is mainly used for (fast B road driving and 1/4 miles)

Well worth the money, but im afraid i misread your car spec, i dont know if he does them for the small block gearboxes or if its only f16 upwards, 425 was total price, i bought 3 off him a few weeks ago, really easy guy to deal with and quite possibly the most knowledgeable guy on this forum, certianly knows more than anyone else off here ive met so far, so take advantage of that and quiz him on other stuff while you are there, LOL.

Chip

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Yes deffinately worth it. Personally I think that it does help in a straight line, but the biggest advantage is in the cornering. Instead of understeering you oversteer, feels very wered to start with but is so much fun after the learning curve!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chip said:
Well worth the money, but im afraid i misread your car spec, i dont know if he does them for the small block gearboxes or if its only f16 upwards, 425 was total price, i bought 3 off him a few weeks ago, really easy guy to deal with and quite possibly the most knowledgeable guy on this forum, certianly knows more than anyone else off here ive met so far, so take advantage of that and quiz him on other stuff while you are there, LOL.

Chip
Cheers mate I think I will go for it, does Steveboyslim use mig much or do you have a phone number for him. If he is on a bit I will send a PM but if not I will phone.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kenny-MK4Astra said:
Did you get your strut brace or headed tank yet or did you cancel the order?

Yup your car is very light mate and 150hp...understated it a little IMO

I really think its the way to go for you, there really isn't much else you can do now to your car except this! I've been a few different corsa's all using different wheels/tyres/shocks and they all understeer quite a bit so i would say no combo of suspension/wheels is going to fully fix your problem mate i think you need the diff
Still don't have the strut brace etc mate, have got a refund from my credit card company as PVD don't want to know. Hopefully the credit card company will take it up with them. I now have £200 credit on my card, using it towars the diff.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mongo said:
Yes deffinately worth it. Personally I think that it does help in a straight line, but the biggest advantage is in the cornering. Instead of understeering you oversteer, feels very wered to start with but is so much fun after the learning curve!
Sounds like what I am after mate, I really don't like understeer, and a bit of oversteer would be preferable.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
AJBek said:
Still don't have the strut brace etc mate, have got a refund from my credit card company as PVD don't want to know. Hopefully the credit card company will take it up with them. I now have £200 credit on my card, using it towars the diff.
B'ah you would think they would be working to lose their bad customer service rep!

Gimme ebuyer anyday lol they are great to deal with ....not car parts mind you but i don't think i've dealt with anyone for car parts where i have been happy :(

Well thats cool that your getting the diff, will need to se how it handles once thats on the little beast haha!

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
steveboyslim isnt on here very often, if you do a search for "atb f28" in the for sale section though you will be able to find his phone number.

give him a ring rather than text him though, as he wont reply to text messages.

Chip

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Gary said:
but the 1/4 thing is a partial myth - they don't improve straightline grip at all really
Totally dissagree with this comment, two wheels having as much grip as possible is better than just the one.

Awesome bits of kit and well worth every penny :)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.