Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone give some pointers for buying a pulsar gtir what to look for etc??????

any commone faults etc?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
more fragile than an integrale or a vaux form what Ive been told, theres a reason they are cheaper then subarus etc.

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
alistairolsen said:
more fragile than an integrale or a vaux
Nope they are far stronger than either especially the vaux 4x4.

alistairolsen said:
theres a reason they are cheaper then subarus etc.
Subarus of the same age can be had for less, unless your buying cheap crap GTI-Rs

Try the gtiroc. only things to watch for are abuse, crash damage, dodgy mods and fuel consumption.

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
The garage where I get my mot`s done always has a few kicking about. I asked about them once and was told they werent for sale, they were customers cars. The garage dude said that pretty much every GTiR in Aberdeen has been through his garage for some major engine rebuild work or gearbox changes, all due to people widing up the boost and abusing them without uprating anything else. If standard or modded PROPERLY they are decent cars. Like all in life though, the good ones go for big money and the cheap ones arent so great.

·
Registered
8,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WeeKenny said:
Nope they are far stronger than either especially the vaux 4x4..

but then again a couple of twigs some blue tack and some spit is probably stronger than a vaux 4x4 setup :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
You need to make sure the clutch is a good one and not on its way out cos its engine out if that needs doing and 17" rims tend to wear the bearings out faster on them for some reason , ideally if you get one the first thing to do is move the intercooler to the front before you even think about upping the boost
But check out the gtiroc site as been mentioned as there's loads of info on there
Can be expensive to insure as well depending your age

·
Registered
329 Posts
steanlol said:
You need to make sure the clutch is a good one and not on its way out cos its engine out if that needs doing and 17" rims tend to wear the bearings out faster on them for some reason , ideally if you get one the first thing to do is move the intercooler to the front before you even think about upping the boost
But check out the gtiroc site as been mentioned as there's loads of info on there
Can be expensive to insure as well depending your age
As long as you have a decent ceramic clutch and if the boost is turned up running uprated forged pistons and it'll be reliable as most things out there :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
gearboxes are weak, anything above 270bhp stresses them, and even at std power, hard driving can kill them. and te only real solution is a quaiffe gearset (not cheap!)
as said, froont mount is essenttial, the top mount soaks up engine heat!
they generally don't rust.
4x4 systems are bulletproof on these!vaux should have taken a leaf from nissan's book!
i seriously consiidered one, but insurannce is a bit of a crippler+damn they a UGLY car!id personally get a scoob.

·
Registered
218 Posts
if i got one i would do a FMIC as already stated and source a standard non torbo sunny bonnet, go for the sublte smooth look, face it them vents are horrid

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also there's more room in a match box than there is in the boot , they mostly come with a poxy yellow space saver stood up in the side of the boot .
If i had more money i'd have one

·
Banned
22,254 Posts
If it is an import (Pulsar) not an english version (Sunny) then they dont have sufficient underseal as it dont rain much over there, so the imports are liable to rotting underneath!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts