Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got me a nice new Alpine unit for me Nova GTE yesterday as I bought the car without any radio or speakers in it.

Problem is I've got it all plugged in and working but can't get the unit all the way into the dash hole. There's too many wires and it just doesn't look deep enough.

Anybody else had this problem or would like to shed some light?? It's the old shape dash by the way!

Simps :D

·
Registered
10,648 Posts
the problem is probably the cage you will need to put the one supplied in cos the vauxhall one is a bugger to fit any aftermarket ones too

wiring is tight but it should fit witha bit of poking arround
hth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using the cage supplied with the unit and the best I can do is a gap of about 1-2 cm between the dash and the front.

Simps :mad:

·
Registered
773 Posts
done this many times mate
remover the glove box, cos then u can see down the side of where the head unit goes and as u put the head unit in u can pull the loom through. on some novas there is like a support bracket (like a ledge that it sits on) which supports the back of the original head unit, try removing this for more space if u have one

hope this helps :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
This is what I did many years ago. Once the cage was half in, I pulled the cables back from the side as described by Novanut. There was an air pipe just behind, with about half an inch back between it and the underside of the dash. Once the wires were pulled out of the way, the cage could be moved back. However, there is one last thing. Try and tilt the back end of the cage slightly upwards, its tendency is to drop down, and it will hit various things on the way. With the cage at the right angle, it should get very close to the heating pipe as you've probably noticed, as long as you've tucked the wiring away it should sit OK.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.