Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've had problems with the clutch cable ever since i got the car. It used to bight really low to the floor, but after a while, it got hard to change gear. crunch!

Then i realised i could remedy this by lifting the pedal up a few times, and it made it 'bite' much higher, and the gear change was much smoother.

This worked for a few months, but recently even this stopped working.

So crunchy gear change it was. Also the pedal was very squeeky. About a week ago I WD40'd the pedal and also covered it in grease where the spring is. It didnt seem to make much difference.

Then 2 days ago while i was driving, the clutch pedal seem to go very floppy and loose, and i had to pull over to check it.

After checking it (in the dark!) it didnt seem to be anything wrong.

After taking off again, the peddle was softer (easier to push in), and now theres no squeek!

Now im happy that the squeek is gone, but a little concerned about the clutch. Are these typical signs of the clutch packing in?
What other problems should i look out for?

Could it just be the cable thats catching/snagging on something?

If i replaced the clutch cable, would this sort it all out?

If it was knackered, would this decrease performance?

How much roughly is a new clutch for a 1.3 mrk 2 astra?

Sorry for the long thread and all the questions!

Hope you guys can shed some light,

Cheers,

BigKingy.

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Its a possibility that you may need a new cable because sometimes they stick and cause a heavy pedal. If when you change the cable you find it no better it will require a clutch kit which is around £60.

Mart.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The clutch pedal should always be slightly higher than all the other pedals, by about 1cm. If its lower it means

1) streched cabel
2) clutch wearing thin

When the clutch is wearing thin, reverse gear usually crunches all the time.

The Haynes book shows you how to measure so that the clutch pedal is the correct hight all the time.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys!

I'll check the pedal to see if its higher than the others in a sec.

If it is the cable stretched, then how much are they to replace?

Could i replace the cable myself, or is it a pro mechanic's job?

Cheers,

BigKingy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts