Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i might have a possible head gasket problem. I have noticed what looks like oil in the header tank in my corsa. It looks like thin lines of oil floating on the top of the water. I have flushed the cooling system but it is still there. I have done a compression test and all four cylinders are fine. I have checked the oil cap and the dipstick and no water has got in to the oil. Wondering if i could have a porous head or a damaged head gasket that has not yet affected the compression. Does anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
change it just to be sure. i had a cav with a 2l 16v gt oil in the water but nt in the oil an it split the head lol nt good. just change it to be sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is hardly any oil at all. There is probably only a drop or two of oil in the header tank. It might have dropped in, but it could be something worse.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
all up to you then mate better safe then sorry i say. least you will no that it has a new head gasket and you dont have to worry about it...

·
Registered
710 Posts
u always face a head when its been taken off
even if its just been put on, torqued up and not even driven
the metal in a headgasket is enough to leave a mark in the alloy leaving it not 100% true when u take it off..
even if they only take off 2-3 thou which is usually what they do

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Whilst the head is off do the porous mod. A lad on here does it for £40. Its piece of mind even if it hasn't gone (sounds like it has though)

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I used to have a diagram, can't find it any more, but it showed the differences between the GM casting and the coscast casting. Some say its also a different alloy but couldn't say for sure. As far as I am aware, the 'roof' of the water gallery should have been a uniform thinckness, or at least symetrical to the water gallery to the left (B's in the picture on the causes page) - as you can see from the picture on that site, its not, and at its thinest it can crack. Its a reasonably easy fix though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts