Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car failed MOT for having exhaust leak at backbox/midpipe joint, basically gases were getting out. So i've taken the pipe off, put sealing paste inside box, and outside on midpipe and put it all back together. I've run it for a while to let it set, but I can still hear a sort of blowing air noise from the rear. When it's idle it sounds and feels like it's coming out of the tailpipe, obviously in pulses? Is it normal to be sound like this from the pipe? When I rev it, it gets quite a bit louder too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
my back box sounds like that too, I spent a whole afternoon trying to find a leak i didnt have lol, I am thinking that the baffles had maybe collapsed inside it and thats why it was sounding so loud?. but standard back boxes are only around 20 quid so i think i'll just renew it and see if it makes a difference ;)

i don't think it should fail the MOT though unless it is louder than the law allows?.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not really loud, the bloke didnt borhter doing the emissions because he said it was leaking, and suggested that it was leaking at the join.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts