Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Mine too,

They insert a metal sleave into one of the oil or water ways,

Dont know who told you it was chemical process?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
how do you know where it has went porous? is it always the same place? where exactly do the go porous? i have an xe head here and im tempted to chop it up to see its inards and wouldnt mind having the knowledge(have the machines and probably the skills) to fix one if need be.

cheers

rodgerq

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ditto me as well. I would love to know exactly how the fix is done as I have a pourus one myself, and no funds to get it fixed, yet I'm sure I could do the work fairly simply.

G

·
They allways go in the same place as there is an oilway and water way very close to each other.

As the alloy gets old it strats to break down and let tiny amounts of oil (As oil molicules are smaller than the water ones) into the water way.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
do you know where on the head that is lee?

people talk of sleeving it, i am assuming its juat a matter of boring a hole into it and putting a sleeve inside it? anyone ever seen how courtenay do it? they have a braided line outside the side of the head!!

so i take it aswell that if a head is porous then the oil will be clear and the water will turn to gunk?

rodgerq

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
thatll be after its modded then?

rodgerq

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
close..

there are 3 galleries inside the head, fed from the restrictor in the block - there are arrange in an H pattern - the two long ones feed the lifters & cams, and they're connected front to back by the shorter one, which goes porous due to it's proximity to a waterway.

it's this one that is sleeved, by boring it out and putting tubing in there.

the courtenay fix, I think, involves blocking it completely, which means the two galleries must be connected externally - which is not a very good fix imo, especially as it uses pressure sapping banjo connections (afaik from the pics)

I'll be chopping up an old head soon to investigate this properely, I'll be glad to pass on the info - the hardest part of the whole operation to fix it is accurately boring the gallery out to accept the right sized tube.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
cool i look forward to what you find mate. it is banjo fitting courtenay use ive seen it first hand. i think if you have a good insight into the innards of the head then the boring will be a lot easier instead of just tryin to get it right which would be a bit hit and miss.

i think i remember a picture of a sectioned head online somewhere ill see if i can see it again.....

rodgerq

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well if its the oilway that runs horizontally across the block they must ream it out with a electric drill. Setting that up on a mill to bore it out square would be a nightmare as the material must be thin there anyway for it to go porus.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
when done on a machine, you'd use a floating (self centering) reamer.

that pic shows some detail - unfortunately the part where it goes, near the exhaust, is in the background and difficult to see - but the way the central gallery connects to the two main ones via risers is quite clear :)

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
lee may said:
They allways go in the same place as there is an oilway and water way very close to each other.

As the alloy gets old it strats to break down and let tiny amounts of oil (As oil molicules are smaller than the water ones) into the water way.
Sure it ain't the other way around?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.