Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, what it like in the different regions of the uk for the police clamp down on window tints? i was on my way to crail (scotlands pod) for a blast up the 1/4 mile and got stopped in a police road block and told my tints were illegal (42-44% when the limit is 70%) and that i've got 10 days to remove them before i get charged etc. :mad:

picture below is the offending windows (undoctored!)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
fife con so yes, like i said to the guy at the time, there are cars even driving by there and then with worse defects than mine yet they spend they're time on the "young un's". Or the amount of people with no insurance, tax or mot are a far bigger burden on the tax payer and country than my window tints, i'm just glad i didn't pay for them although the car won't look half as good without them!

yeah, its only the front ones but it'll look stupid with half i think.

they had a tint-man, i'm going to challenge it and ask for a re-test and if the it comes to anything but 42 and 44% then i'm going to question the accuracy and also ask for calibration details and a demonstration on a "100%" car which i think is what it should read when applied to a regular window.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
get some none tinted windows from a scrappy

replace em, show the coppers then put ya old ones back in :D

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
South Wales isn't all that friendly on tints, uckily the astra ones say 70% blah blah on them, but that was the std tints, thenew tinits over the top, but still makes them go away.

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
they are probly the same tints as i have up front to match the rears.... fook me the old bill must be bored... u wana see some of the cars around here.... probly cant see out let alone in :confused:

i think its just bad luck mate :(

·
Eastern Regional Coordinator
8,212 Posts
From what i've been told from the owner of World Of Ice in Colchester, is that any aftermarket tint on the windscreen and the front two windows is illegal.
Which is why mine has tint-less front windows, however because i have limo black on the back three, its looks like a bl00dy van!!
So i'm going for no tints once the install and re-tirm are finished.

·
Registered
10,869 Posts
Was yapping to a tinting chap about this the other day...
you are allowed a 15% tint on the front windows, anything more than that is illegal.
Bearing in mind that the majority of cars are supplied with tinted windows, any further tinting is illegal.

And yep, it sucks..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
mine are limo black at the back, and one shade up at the front.

i've been pulled over loads of times, and the police have never complained about them (but i do always wind the front windows down before pulling over) lmao lmao

someone told me once that it's illegal for the police to wind up the windows to check without a warrant... not sure if it's true, but it's worth a try anyway

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have dark tints on my carly and have been waiting for the old bill to pull me over. haven't yet tho, touch wood!

think yours look fine and nowhere near bad enough to warrant being picked on. bad luck dude.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.