Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive missed my astra gsi16v which i owned 2 years ago SO much even though i had a modded Corrado G60, really glad that ive just sold it for quite good money and now im after a 16v gte.

Unfortunatly i cant find many but there seems to be loads of gte 8v, what the difference apart from the 8valves.lol

is the 16v alot quicker>? any different extras? breaks the same?
need help, will i be dissapointed with an 8v gte, please remember ive suffered 2 years with a manky unreliable expensive VW.

thanks

Moz

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
ahhh so u see the light!!

the 8v is about 25bhp less, the power is different too, an 8v has better low end torque, but the 16v has much better top end.

16v offers better acceleration and top speed, however people say the 8v is better for the twisty b roads.

16v also has better fuel economy.

Can't think of anything else.

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
oh and the 16v is 20 times better to look at in the engine bay :D

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
The main differences are the extra 20BHP the 16v has.
The 16v front brakes are much better than the 8v ones, though they are a direct swap.
For the money they go for now you're best off looking for a 16v one, though if you find a really clean 8v take it. Fit 16v brakes, lower it, spend £450 on a B+ head like I did and you'll have 16v matching performance. Well close.

·
Admin/show reporter
11,663 Posts
Tom trying to start an 8v revolution there ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the same problem 3 years ago, trying to find a decent 16 valve.I can imagine it being even more difficult now. I ended up buying an 8 valve instead which I'm currently fitting a 16 valve lump into. I've prevciously owned 16 valvers and they are just so much better. 150+ horses, discs all round better acceleration and top end. I've spent nearly a £1000 pounds modding my 8 valve and I can't get the thing to start. My reccomendation to you is to hold out and wait. Check out sites like www.autotrader.co.uk and www.findit.co.uk. They occassionally have some decent ones for sale. Have fun!!!

Jason

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
The std 8v is OK but a bit strangled. 16v is better out of the box, but with some work the 8v can match a 16v.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Nova16v said:
an 8v has better low end torque, but the 16v has much better top end.
not so, 16v has more torque and more bhp over the WHOLE rev range. The 8v only feels "torquier" because it makes its peak lower in the rev range.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanxs for the reply's, i dont really want to spend mega money around £500 but i would stretch a little. I want a gte 16v but it looks like ive got limited choices, i might have to play away and buy a pug 205 or golf gti16v.....

if i still had my job i was going to get an evo 6 but now im thinking of french rubbish instead... ahhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
16,620 Posts
0ddball said:
not so, 16v has more torque and more bhp over the WHOLE rev range. The 8v only feels "torquier" because it makes its peak lower in the rev range.
It's always bugged me when people say the 8v is better lower down, it isn't. I've had both. The 16v is quicker everywhere and that one second less to 60 isn't there for sales figures.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
testament to the SFi chamber.

compare 8v and 16v golf engines for instance, and the 8v puts the 16v to shame for midrange torque.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts