Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Odd problem. If the engine is labouring after having been driven on the motorway, say, with lots of cool air, there is no problem. However, if I've been stood in traffic and then pull away in a slightly higher gear I can hear what could be described as loud pinking or, possibly, pistons rattling. I have forged pistons, been in that block for about 80K.

What is the most likely cause? How can I determine which it is for sure?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Sounds like pinking to me. Hot engine and air is the ideal condition for pinking. Try using supper unleaded fuel or get the mixture richer. Getting a fuel injector cleaner may also help to clean carbon build up in the engine and reduce compression which in term reduces pinking.

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
Its probably pinking due to a combination of an aggressive map, crap modern fuels, oil contimination and the hot weather.

Easy way to test if its pinking if you dont really know what to listen for is to put 10% toluene in the tank, if it stops it then you know its pinking.

Chip

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't rule out valve gear noise if your tappets are sticking when the engine is really hot the valves will tap like a mofo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.