Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ordered a set of new metal tensioners for the cam belt for my turbo motor, they arrived today.

now, the thing is 3 cam off the engine, and theyve only supplied 2, as per recommended for the calibra turbo. one of these is the same, ie the larger plastic one is the same as the metal one ive got.

can anyone supply me with pics of the engine with cam belt cover off, or pics from the epc please so i know whats going on???

looking in my car pics folder, it seems an xe engine a mate had in his nova we changed the cam belt on only had 2 tensioners and the water pump like what ive been given. maybe this changed at a later year?

any help?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that seems to be what i removed.

now why have i been given just 2? and will it really matter if i use just the 2, assuming its the way the xe is???

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
well youve bought the earlier style XE/LET roller and tensioner then havent you. As far as i know SBD are the only one that does metal upgrades for later style triple roller setup. And then its only metals sleeves that fit over the standard bearings.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ones ive got make it look like this set up, as oddball says early xe/let ones.

so that means ill just run it the way the xe belt does, like in that pic, hopefully, lol, cant be that simple can it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, square teeth on the water pump aswell.

appears i cant use this set up at all, need the 3 metal ones. they dont fit on in the same place as the pic above, and stick out an extra 2mm than the water pump.

id have thought you couldve fitted them???

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm, i dunno, if what your saying is right, ie just metal that slides over the plastic, i reckon i could get them made cheap enough.

sod it placcy will be cheaper wont it???

why wont these fit on then? is the black metal backing plate different???

there is a metal bracket that bolts on before the tensioners go on, but if i dont fit this the early xe style ones wont go on at all.

hmmm, what to do???? this is it befor the head goes on and engine is finished.....

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
well you need the correct rollers obviously !

heres a pic, the 2 rollers nearest the block are the early style, the other 3 in the lower half are close-ups of the later style rollers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i see the difference, its no.5 on the pic, that would make the rollers ive got fit.

no.10 is the bracket i was on about, thats to space the newer style ones away from the black plate, and no.5 is for the early ones, cheers, will go see at vauxhall how much part no.5 is, or just re-fit old tensioners.

the pic of the xe in the nova had the square toothed belt, and so does the let, so how come the tensioners are different? and when i went for a cam belt, the one i got has round teeth? whats going on there?

cheers for the help oddball

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
early XE had round cemi circle teeth on the crank sprocket, water pump and cam sprockets, later style had square teeth.

I mistakenly ran a square teeth cambelt on round tooth mechanicals, i didnt know any better at the time, and it was fine (ignorance is bliss and all that). But a round tooth belt on square tooth mechanicals, that wont work at all.

check your cam sprockets and water pump, get the correct belt to match.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
square cam belt sprocket. bloke at parts shop said they changed to the round oes for a noise problem, i didnt belive him like, he was a new employee and tried to tell me lots of ******** about eh xe and let engines that i knew was wrong. was him that gave me the cam belt with round teeth on. regular bloke orderd me the tensioners in. shall take em back in the morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've noticed that on the draw is a spring (#4) but missing from the picture posted. When I replaced my timing belt, it was missing too. I asked the local GM dealer, and I was told that #4 works as a pretesioner and a safety "device" in case that the tesioners get loose. Is that true, is it mandatory to have it in there? cuz I bought one and I do not know to fit it on the engine or not.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
on my way to take them tensioners back and the cam belt, migh make the new boy seem a little foolish on my return, lol.

will try and get the other 2 tensioners new aswell, other wise it will have to be the old ones

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
0ddball said:
well you need the correct rollers obviously !

heres a pic, the 2 rollers nearest the block are the early style, the other 3 in the lower half are close-ups of the later style rollers.

what year was the later style style setup introduced?

cheers

rodgerq

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.