Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in the middle of stripping my LET down.

In an ideal world i would like to change everything but if only money was no object...

Can i get away with the following things in the condition they are in...

Pistons have previous DET marks and slight scoring on the piston walls but the bores are fine... A bit glazed but nothing a hone wont sort..

My question is... DO i need new pistons or will these be ok. And will my crank need a polish of will i be ok.

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
i don't think that's det, looks more like a bang to me...

also, one (at least) of the crank journals looks like it's worn, but it's hard to tell with pics. can you feel anything if you run your fingertip across it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
the chip on the edge of that piston will get burnt away untill you loose compression , i dont think it would last 3000 miles .but im not an engineer so i may be wrong .
i wouldnt build an engine with iffy pistons , its too much work and money to get it all together only for it to need dooing again prety soon .

get second hand pistons or better still just bin the lot and go for a second hand block . itll save you time and money .

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
JackS said:

Are they supposed to be like that? Or have you had some piston to valve intimacy?
That looks to have had a valve hit the face as the cutouts look deeper than normal.

Just smooth off any sharpe edges and check the ringlands for any cracks :nod:

Also when having a hone - take your pistons with you and have them measure the piston to bore gap !!! I say that as the wear on your piston skirts look a little heavy ?? might just be the photo though. TO be within tolerance they should be about 1.5-2thou.

Crank - run your finger nail across each journal - if you feel any indentations or roughness then I'd advise you take it somewhere and have them measured to be sure ;) Also check the wear marks on the bigend and main bearings as these will give clues to how it's all wearing :D

As for polish - looks ok to me so wouldn't bother.. ;)

·
East Midlands Regional Coordinator
40,980 Posts
I would have a polish if there are ANY visible marks at all... why would you want the surface to be anything other than glass smooth? At the end of the day it's not worth taking short cuts like that for the sake of a few quid

·
Registered
11,048 Posts
Chavtastic said:
I would have a polish if there are ANY visible marks at all... why would you want the surface to be anything other than glass smooth? At the end of the day it's not worth taking short cuts like that for the sake of a few quid
Because it's not needed - if you can't feel any indentations/high spots then even though some marks will be visable - don't mean it needs anything doing to it.

"especially if he's keeping with the existing bearings, as both will have worn together for thousands of miles by now. :D

·
Registered
19,876 Posts
don't agree matt, it could be ovalled and you wouldn't feel that. Inspecting the bearing's wear characteristics is a better guide, plastigauge, a mic and a professional better still :beer:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well its in my local engineering place. They will have a look for me and let me know. I personally think there is a fair bit of wear on the piston skirts and although you cant really feel any indentations on the crank journals im just wary as to the state my turbo was in as to whats been in the oil to make the turbo bearings go like that...

The shells are heavily scored - mains and big ends....

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Definatly looks like youve had some valve/pistons involvement,the small ends may of taken a hammering as a result,get em checked.
For the price of a set of oversize mahles these days i really can't see the point in not investing in some.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
PM Steveboyslim, give him a list of all the parts you require and he'll get back to you with very good price guide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts