Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having part ex'd the last Turbo Convertible 3 years ago but really missed it, I thought as I now had room in the garage, I needed another one to play with and here it is on the day I picked it up.

It did have a leaky radiator, so there was always a nag in my mind - why has that cracked or burst, but I took it easy on the way home, 100+ miles, with just the occasional bootful to test it out of course.

The attraction of this one was the well documented smoke and rattle free 66k engine, low ownership, masses of receipts, a fairly unmarked body and very nice black leather interior with no real wear. The minor bumper marks and after market stuff is all easy to fix, plus it does seem to pull like the proverbial Bullet train. My last one was great to drive, but I always thought it could do with a tad more oomph.

I am intending to go right through this one and get it how I want it, making it as usable as possible but also in the back of my mind will be a reasonable dose of standard looking. There are not many left of these and I like the solid build quality, also the fact that if I use it for my 180 mile each way commute, it can and will do 40 mpg if I want to, love the roof down/heater on hot open road fun in the winter, plus this one seems to look very tasty in Star Silver. Anyone that knows me, may know I like stuff fairly subtle, discreet and OEM style, but I still liked the way it naffs off down the road with the traction control struggling to keep up, so I cracked on with a few changes.

So, it came fitted with a very loud stainless exhaust, weirdly of a std diameter, but no cats and just one box and all the usual screw on stuff under the bonnet, which of course, unscrews.

Firstly, I couldn't get to the dipstick, so all the under-bonnet stuff got swapped back to the minty old stuff that was in the boot when I got it.

The cam cover breather hose, as usual, was delaminating, so fitted a new std. one.

Dan (first thing he did was adjust the bonnet cable of course) and I fitted a new rad and while we had it all in bits, the obligatory cam belt/rollers/water pump, oil and filter.

The only belt change its had previously involved a main dealer, who managed to break all the belt covers and their captive nuts etc, so will get round to perfecting that one day.

It had a huge amp/sub in the boot, which wasn't staying, plus a silver Pioneer head-unit, also destined for removal, so sourced a std CCR600 radio cassette (yep, I love em) which of course controls the CD autochanger, which after we plugged it in, all worked lovely again.

Leaving the boot now free of sub and lots of wiring, that I didn't want.

The headlights needed a bit of work, not milky across the front as seems the norm, but across the top edges, so as they were out, polished them all up with G10, a coat of sealant, fitted the Osram Nightbreakers I had in the last car, pair of new indicator bulbs and sidelights, popped them all back in. I even went nuts on the rusty screws, popping some silver on them, as they looked tired.

Went up into the loft and found 3 boxes of parts I collected when I had the last car, found a minty handbrake gaitor, fitted that, vacuumed the interior out, refitted all the front end, went for a post radiator test drive. It of course started raining after 10 mins, but the car still boosts a plenty and I started to make a mental list of the next few tasks, which I have listed here in case I forget what's next to do -

Have some Insignia mist screen jets here ready for action,

Gear lever repair kit also arrived and in need of fitting to perfect the gear-change,

Lose the turbo boost gauge, find a new heater vent to replace it, the car mists up down the drivers door when the roof is up, plus the boost gauge has the worlds brightest LED in it so you get blinded at night. OBD reader and Torque shows boost properly if I ever need to see it,

Maybe if I can find one, fit a silver/black centre console, as I think the painted black is okay, but the std silver/matt black GM offering like I put in the first Turbo, really finishes the interior off, or flock the lot of it,

Find a set of wheels that fit! - So these Omega ones look lovely, I'm told they are Marmite rims and I guess they are, I like the look of them and someone has had them reconned to near perfect, but the offset is wrong and that makes it all weird when steering and it does tramline down the road a tad, my last one was perfect, so I don't know yet it it's going to be std Turbo rims, the other coupe 5 spokes, ED100 BBS jobbies, or something else, no clue as yet,

Almost certainly an adjustable delay Omega saloon wiper switch, as I have just found two relays in the loft,

It's had new rear brakes, but, o dear what a shame, the front 308's are a tad tired out, so it's probably time for something tasty under the wheels at the front and then of course the rear follows soon after, I suspect VXR ones all round TBH,

I find the weird lumps on the steering wheel a tad strange, so, as per the last car, I may try and find a minty std black wheel without the lumps on it.

Take it somewhere to fit a sports cat and centre box, so the exhaust should be good forever after that, I'll be able to fire it up at 6am before going to work and not wake the dead, but it should be still quite superb under boost, I dont mind a decent roar, but this is taking the rise, I'm 49, not 19.

That is about it for the moment, more when it happens

·
Administrator
12,102 Posts
Re: Pete's Bertone Turbo Convertible #2

Looks nice pete, and strangely I’ve found myself lately looking at these, there seems to be a few locally to me for sale very reasonably priced. Sounds like a good plan on returning to standard with subtle tweaking, only things I’d like to do would add either a prodrive sri front bumper or Gsi, and phase 2 vectra gsi wheels.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Yeah, those wheels I do like too. Some Saab ones are also drawing my attention, or 17" snowflakes maybe.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Another day of Turbo related fun

Just overhauled the gear-lever mechanism with one of those half a ping-pong ball kits from yur man on eBay, worked well on the last car, and this is no exception, the pivot shaft was very worn out and there was lots of the usual slop throughout

Plus fitted the insignia jets as seems the norm on Mk4's

Then after titivating the top half of the bodywork with my new clay bar, as it had a few hundred little tiny red paint spots on all the top facing surfaces which needed to go, I decided it was time for the standard badges to be reinstated on the bootlid

Conditioned the leather with my favourite Liquid Leather jollop (smells lovely), then went for a bit of a roar with the roof down of course, went a bit deaf, more next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, been at it again in the garage,

Hit my local scrappy, who happen to have a 1.8 convertible in red, got a few bits off that and a few others, chiefly to sort the interior out

Firstly, lost the uber bright boost gauge, wiring and pipework, fitted a scrappy headlight switch surround/airvent

Whilst I was down there, I fitted a pair of new pedal rubbers and lobbed the old ones as they weirdly wear quite badly, even at a reasonably low mileage

And then as my latest package had arrived, I fitted the used silver/black centre console I'd sourced, changed bulbs, made all the pixels in the display work etc

Lovely

And finally fitted some thick leather gaiters that were thrown in with the centre console I'd just found, miles nicer than the ones that were fitted

Happy with all that.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Those seats looks mint!

I am quite interested in how you fixed the pixels in the display? I have been meaning to try and do something with mine for years as it gradually dies.

·
North Western Regional Coordinator
9,554 Posts
I keep looking at these. GSI front bumper and snow flake wheels with a small drop and done

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A bit more Bertone fun in the garage this weekend.

Changed the gear oil as I had no clue how old it was.
As you may know, this involves a shortened 8mm Allen key to get the drain plug out. No pic but I dremelled about 10mm off the short end of one, and that's perfect. I'd had one from the last car but had mislaid it, so out that red stuff came.

Had the weedy battery out as getting to the filler plug seems a lot easier when it and it's tray is out

Cleaned up the drain and filler plugs and popped in a Neodymium magnet in the drain one,

Refilled with stinky jollop I had in stock from the last F23 change and then all back together.

Also had the expansion tank out to change the pesky coolant sensor, as I am getting the dreaded "coolant level" pop up on the display every 5 mins, popped a new one in, still does it. Fairly common I believe.

Other fun has been to touch in a few tiny paint and lacquer marks and then machine polish all the Star Silver-ness, then seal with something tasty to get it through the winter.

Used a small diameter mop to get into all the corners nicely, and G10

You get to know all the paintwork intimately when you do this of course and I knew it wasn't all original, I just now know which bits are..
I'd like to lose the little scrapes on the front bumper and bootlid, but we'll see about that next year at some point. It is very presentable as it is.

I am on the hunt for a set of wheels, it's just I cant decide which ones as yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
More Z20LET fun at Chateau Pete.

Found some nearly new Bilstein/Eibachs and got those on last weekend

That's a 24mm Zafira front roll bar that was thrown in with the deal and a box of Zlet spares

Off with the Omega rims as the tyres are awful, and they stick out too far, on with my old Cavvy ST rims and it now drives properly!

Found myself a nice Saab Turbo badge for the rather empty front grille.

Also fitted a std round leather steering wheel, as I didn't like the silver bottomed one with the lumps on

As the manifold heat shield was missing, found one, reshaped it a lot, fitted that, and a silicone breather bend as it was in the box of spares

This hideous monstrosity got cut off, as it was fully welded on the car, badly bodged and just so wrong in every way

Now fitted this 200 cell cat, and std factors type centre and rear for the mo, while I put some miles on the old girl

Still hunting for some proper wheels for it.

Car now drives lovely, just a tad low for the roads around here, as I hit a very wobbly bit of road at some speed and the sump plug is now half as thick as it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well! found the wheels I wanted for it.

Saab ALU 52 EVO. off an 9-5 Aero. 7x17 and 49 offset.

Got the Saab sized tyres off, fitted 4 correct ones, then created some hybrid eBay/Saab wheel centres -

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just brought this off a friend needs a bit of work what bumpers can I put on this to make it stand out? I’m looking on a vectra spoiler last model vec..
but Pete yours looks amazing tbh

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
So, now at home because of you know what, plenty of weekend time to sort out some more little niggles...

Now the Saab wheels are on and tested fully, I can see the rusty brakes behind them a bit more easily, so time for a refresh and overhaul to make them all work properly, as it feels like the rears aren't up to much and to pretty them up a tad.

So, I had one brand new front 280/288/308 caliper in the stores from way back in the day all shiny and plated still, so instead of doing all the calipers from scratch/lots of rusty pistons/seal kits and faffing about, I bought it's factory GM mate for the other side, cleaned up/rust killed then painted a spare set of caliper brackets HT silver, Brembo discs painted satin black around the edges and the around the bell areas, Brembo pads, even refitted the untouched pad wear sensors, that had been tywrapped out of the way, as the old pads had the different shape hole in them, like a triangle...

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rears are now underway too, calipers are all off, pistons are fine, but one was a tad sticky and both need a dust seal, so eBay seal kit in post, 38mm ones on this car, brackets painted silver, discs ready to go as the fronts, back plates were lightly rusty, but to try and keep them as good as possible, a light wire brushing, then a coat of Hammerite "Kurust" pink acid jollop, dries black, works well

More when the rears are all on and adjusted up.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And ere we go, rear calipers resealed, brackets cleaned and painted silver as per fronts, all refitted

sorted.
Tomorrow is scrub the arches out, lose the tar spots, clean and seal the wheels and get it back down on the ground for a pad bedding session.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts