Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive decided to finally make a proper sub box for my subs, but i dont know what volume of box to make. Ive found a website that can work this out for you but i need the specifications of the subs which i cant find in the instructions.
Any ideas?
By the way, im going to use 2x Longmill PSW 4410 12" 300 watt subs.
Sub volume calculations website HERE

[ 14-07-2001: Message edited by: davie d ]

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you contact Longmill, they can give you the Q and resonance figures, or if you find a magazine that reviews them, they usually quote them.

However, that site seems to make one glaring error from what I've known before. It says sealed boxes will be smaller, yet I was under the impression ported boxes are best for small spaces. For example, a proper sealed box for two 12's is roughly the volume of your average car!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Sealed sub boxes are not really the best idea for a car because of the size they would need to be, for the best results and serious bass you would be better of building a decent band-pass box with two ports per sub, this gives the best power to size of box ratio and produces a nice deep clear bass. I am not sure of the exact sizes for this but most decent car hifi centres should have a computer program to work this out, it may be cheaper to just buy the box, i,ve seen twin 12 boxes advertised for about £50....

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
a rough rule of thumb, a 12" needs a 1.7cu ft enclosure to work well and yes i know its a big box.
if you keep the box at the same size and fit a 4" port 13 3/4" long this will give you a fz of around the 60hz mark, good enough for most types of music for most ears, i have tried this design with many types of subs and can honestly say no mater weather it be a economy sub or a high end model (from fury - kenwood) the results will make you smile PROVIDED that you drive the sub with an amp that will run the sub to near it's max

;)

·
Registered
16,891 Posts
come to think of it, for a 10" sub, use the same size box (1.7 cu ft) just shorten the port lenghth to 10 3/4".
make sure the box is obviousley long enogh to take the ports at this lenghth and leave 2" clearance inside the box for the ports to breath.
hope this helps u guys.

:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.