Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Tbh, I wouldn't go mad with the w&d until you get the lacquer on. By all means make sure any runs or flaws in your primer are smoothed out before you put on the top-coat, but I've never seen the point in going overboard on the primer-coat, as long its surface is smooth. Save the elbow-grease for after you've put on the lacquer.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the laquer? From what i can gather off the side of the tin it says just to w&d after the paints gone on to give a matt finish for the laquer to grip to as it wont grip to the gloss finish of the paint, doesnt mention w&d after laquering.

·
Registered
912 Posts
the way i allways do it, is give it 2 or 3 light coats of primer, doing this i dont get any runs and theres no need to sand it, then i give it 3 or so coats of paint depending on what colour im using, leave for a while then i normally use 3ish coats of laquer, leave it to dry over nite then ust a 1200grit wet and dry paper soaked in soapy water 2 lightly sand it down, keep soaking the paper as the soap acts as a lubricant and stops the laquer getting scratched,

after is sanded u will notice its dull and looks scuffed, get sum t cut polish and give it a good goin over, the t cut removed all the scuffed bits and gives a good smooth shiny finish,

hope any of that helps, ive got pics of sum of the things ive done with this method, i u want to c what kind of finish u get let me know n ill email u them

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I would use wet and dry on the primer, probably P600 or so should be fine. You could go as course or P400 if you really wanted, but I would stick with P600. This will not only smooth out the surface and any imperfections, but also will key the surface so that the top coat has good adhesion.

Then apply your colour followed by the laquer. The number of coats of colour you need will depend upon what colour it is. SOme have much better opacity than others. Once the laquer has had time to fully dry (leave it a week or so if it is 1-pack/celly) then you can flat it back (I would use P1500 followed by P2000 - it will make the final polish much easier). The best polish to use would be G3 followed by G10, but if you can't get this T-Cut will suffice followed by whatever finishing polish you normally use on your car.

Mike

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cheers mike, unfortunately i painted em today without w&d the primer, looks ok though, doesnt need to be a pro finish though as there not expensive show wheels and i'm painting em black so it will hide any slight imperfections. Looks ok, put about 4 coats on starting with 2 light coats, 3rd a bit heavier and the 4th heavier again. is 4 enough? as i said not to bothered on the quality of finish more bothered about em not peeling or flaking, want em to stay black lol.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
some pics, taken with flash on and off, bit difficult to get a good pic even though its a good cam :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
I think they've turned out well. I'm just about to do the exact same wheels tommorow. Black really suits those wheels. They look fantastic on Jamies astra.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the hard work was nearly ruined when i w&d them before laquering, they looked sh*t and a bit thin in a couple of the recess's, havent got any more black paint so i laquered em anyway, dont look as bad as before, might try the next 2 just laquer straight on top of the paint.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Well just about everybody told you not to bother w&d'ing until you get the lacquer on top.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i know was my own fault for not listening (and halfords for telling me to on the side of their can!) oh well they still look ok i reckon, second pair will be done different, live and learn and all that, will post some better pics when there finished.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fair play to you mate, that looks very good. Your right it is a very easy wheel to do hence why i wasnt worried about it being my first attempt at any sort of painting. the other pair should be a lot easier/better hopefully although i'm happy with the results from the first 2 to be honest

·
Registered
418 Posts
To be fair your wheels look very good, well done :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
These are the 2 i've done, pics as of 5 mins ago,

Excuse the greasy smears and finger marks :eek:

What will the finish be like after i've W&D/t-cut/polished them?

·
Registered
418 Posts
probably deep gloss black

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I must say, I don't go in for all this w&d after painting malarky.

I've just done my cam cover. 2 coats normal primer, 1 coat filler primer, with 800 w&d between each (still had some thin patches on the corners through to metal).
Then 2 heavy'ish coates of colourcoat followed by 2 heavyish coats of clearcoat.

Even before the clearcoat went on the finish was superb and i was really reluctant to clearcoat them in case it looked worse.

Final result below (see other thread for more pics http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=197401) and yes, the paint is dry, it just looks glossy and wet!

From when I last sprayed anything well over 10 years ago, I think aerosol cans have come on a heck of a long way. Constant pressure, nice fan and good quality paint that actually doens't want to run/sag etc.

May even do a spare set of Compomotive MO's I've got hanging about.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Good finish, fbi

the_fbi said:
From when I last sprayed anything well over 10 years ago, I think aerosol cans have come on a heck of a long way. Constant pressure, nice fan and good quality paint that actually doens't want to run/sag etc.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree there. Since they stopped using CFC as a propellant about 10 years ago I find the cans blob and spit and run out of ooph half full, especially if you've only got room to store them in a cold garage. I've got at least three half-full cans of paint that I can't get anything else out of 'cos the propellant's gone :mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts