Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked the car up at 5:30 from the seller in Leicester, broke down at about 6:15ish, got back to Tamworth at 10pm.

Spent most of the evening sat on the hard shoulder of the M1 then in a layby off the A5 waiting for the AA.

Just before this I was driving along at a steady 70mph when smoke started coming out of the bonnet vents and at the same time the power dropped off and I realised the temp guage was just under the red.

Verdict by AA is a blown head gasket. When I try and start the car now the starter whirs but that's it.

Having it looked at on Saturday to see what the damage is and how much it's going to cost :eek:

Been quoted as a rough guide without the car being seen yet £550 this includes a cam belt change.

Luckily having owned a renault for the past few years I'm used to waiting for the AA and forking out large sums of money.

As to why the AA took so long it's because they sent out a front lift then realised it needed a full lift else I'd lose the front bumper. - Was attended to by 3 different patrols and a copper that evening!

If you ever break down on a motorway and the AA say you are now a priority what this means is that instead of the normal "we'll be with you in about an hour" it becomes 45 mins!!

Verdict so far: Nice Car, shame it won't go anywhere!

·
Registered
38,604 Posts
Gutted mate. I remember waiting 3 hours for an AA breakdown when the headgasket on my 5hitroen BX blew. Awfull.

Anyway, not heard of too many headgaskets going on XE's. Hope you get it sorted soon. Get the head pressure checked and refaced.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Scott: until they tell me it's a bigger mess than I thought and it's gonna cost me body parts.

Davey: As I said, I'm used to it. Although knowing my luck my clio will die now as well. (Clio 1.8 16v)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Adam, my girlfriend lives in Tamworth, i just stay at hers most days. I live in stafford. Not heard of kroozmidz and to be honest I'm not into cruises.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not sure where abouts... it was just off the ring road somewhere! Met the guy at his house.. all legit, went in even met his mum.

It's an L reg Blue one on 17"s. I'll get some pics up.
Got it from a guy advertising on here actually.

·
Premium Member
19,135 Posts
Sounds like you need to get friendly with some local Miggers. Us in the South Centeal region like nothing better that to gloat about how much money we save doing mods/ repairs ourselves. Engine swaps are a monthly ritual in my garden.
Most other regions are the same, someone closer will help if you ask, get the cost of re-finishing head and headgasket and cam belt replacement for about £100 max I reckon.

don't give up yet, just a major case of bad luck I think.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Astra Dan said:
Sounds like you need to get friendly with some local Miggers. Us in the South Centeal region like nothing better that to gloat about how much money we save doing mods/ repairs ourselves. Engine swaps are a monthly ritual in my garden.
Most other regions are the same, someone closer will help if you ask, get the cost of re-finishing head and headgasket and cam belt replacement for about £100 max I reckon.

don't give up yet, just a major case of bad luck I think.
I'll see what the guy at the garage says when he's had a good look. He is one of those small garages with cheap labour rates, used him before for stuff on the clio and my girlfriends been using him for years. If it's looking expensive then I'll look elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.