Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first I shall start by saying what a ****e piece of crappy design. After mainly dealing with renaults and their wonderful simple and straightforward engineering and far superior design I was saddened to remember the crappiness that is ford.

I done the rear wheel bearings yesterday, no biggie easy job.

The front passenger bearing is the dodgy one.

So after chipping the 5 tons of rusty crap away I saw the target. Caliper and disc off, lower ball joint pinch bolt off, track rod end popped out.

Tried to thump the outer cv out of the hub but no, instead the end has folded over :mad:

Try the hub carrier to strut bolt, feels ok it did move at the threaded side then snapped, oh bother. :mad:

So I then thought pull the driveshaft out along with the strut so I can get in there. Can I get the inner cv out of the box? Can I feck. So I pull nice and hard and burst the outer and inner cv gaiters, they were cracking anyway. :mad:

I have now got the shaft out of the outer cv and the hub and outer cv and strut are all still together.

Plan is go get a nut welded onto the snapped bolt so it can be undone. Need a bolt though.

I reckon I can borrow their puller whilst there to pop out the outer cv, I will then figure something out so I can keep that outer.

Any ideas on how I can get the inner cv out of the box and will popping out the spring thingy for 5th gear allow the box oil to drain and not cause any problems?

If it was a renault I would have had it done in 20 mins even if everything snapped/siezed. :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
usualy a short sharp whack does the trick for cv joints. or a lever in behind in while chapping the cv with a hammer at the same time.

if all else fails whip out the other side(assuming its goin to come out) and whack it out through the diff.

rodgerq

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rodger to smack it through fromt he other side you need to dismantle the diff as the sun wheels are in the way and their shaft!

Anyway...

I managed to get the inner cv out by using a bigger hammer, 5lb effort, the 2lb was obviously too weedy.

so the driveshaft (what a poxy wee thing it is, the smallest ren shaft is thicker) got cleaned and I have fitted a new inner cv gaiter.

I have only just managed to bang out the outer cv, what a mission, it involved a blowtorch, broken hub puller, wd-40 and cillit bang then a big hammer. I have ground the mushroomed end to a point so the nut still goes on.

Ground off the inner race from the hub flange.

I took the strut/carrier to get welded, I said to him weld a nut on, so after he welded a bolt on 3 times and it not workign he said it would have to be drilled. I decided I didn't have time to keep messign about so went home and banged the outer out.

So tonight at the flat i will strip and clean up the outer cv, regrease it then fit it back onto the driveshaft with its nice new gaiter.

I still need to drill out the broken strut to hub carrier bolt and but a new lower pinch bolt, it also really needs a new lower arm but the cars for sale not for keeping due to its super fantastic ness.

This is quite a story, I like stories, you know one time...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts