Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Foot to the floor in 5th, couldn't get past 128mph, which given vaux speedo variances was probably 115-120. Took quite a while to get from an indicated 110 to 128.

What could be the reason why I couldn't get up to 140?

Fuelling issue?(no fault codes shown)

·
Registered
8,862 Posts
the fact that 120 in a not exactly new XE'd cally is good going and anything much more is a load of crap told to people by the bloke down the pub

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Still, it does seem a little bit low. Start with service items like leads, plugs, fuel filter, oil change all that. I say this because my 2.0 8v Astra topped out at 126 when I first picked it up, but was up to 134 the next time I tried it. INDICATED.

·
Registered
390 Posts
may be it's not 100% healthy.replace all the thing mentioned above.put some redex in the fuel tank.my gsi is really responsive in 5th.had it up to just over 135mph last week and it was still p ulling.i thought the calibra was identical to the cavalier

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
16vastra - would expect to do a real 125 on a recently rebuilt engine, which given the variances on speedo above 100 should get me to an indicated 140. As important was the painful lack of acceleration above 110 (guesstimate a real 100).

Leads- newish Magnecor , new ngk plugs, new oil filter & 15/40 oil. Fuel filter about 5000 miles old. Injectors ultrasonically cleaned. Will run a bottle of STP cleaner through then change fuel filter.

Driver & passenger weight was circa 170kg, fuel about 10 litres, wouldn't have thought that would matter too much regards top speed.

Will record max rpm reached to provide a truer estimate of real speed, rather than the indicated speed which I guestimate is at least 10% over at that speed

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cavgsi - remember I am referring to indicated speed. Which is usually at least 10% more than real speed.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Book for these is apparently 139. But that could be spiel too.

I've hit 136 indicated. Speed still increasing albeit extremely slowly! As a sidenote ChrisB in his Cally T was creeping past me in the outside lane at this time lmao.

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
If it was struggling to get to the expected speed then that suggests that power is down. If service items are replaced and it's still like that then look at things like:
-cam timing
-ECU sensor connections
-throttle opening all the way
-brakes not binding

·
Registered
614 Posts
Gary, if you are sure 128 indicated is 10% off then as tom say you must be low on power. I would do a compression test in case you can detect any obvious mechanical problems with your car. Do not expect the compression test to show problems with the cylinder head that can cause loss of power. Additional to tom's list I would also look at the CAT. If its brocken it will block exhaust flow at high rpm and hence reduce power. Can the car rev easily to redline in second and third with no strange noises? I got passed 140 down a hill from my 2.0NE 8V cav(after upgrading to an SEH cam), so you should be getting more then that. Also try to disconnect ECU and reconnect and use some superunleaded in your next test.

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
if u cant go off the clock no matter whatcar cally or cav gsi somethings wrong! im not saying u should be doing 140 legite but i neva had a prob going off the clock in both my cav gsi's lmao

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
i shall say this again who the f*ck are you? :confused: btw have u got a problem with me driving a mint car fast? and what mint car are u talking about sonny? the cav gsi or turbo?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.