Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,776 Posts
Rotary engines are mental :D

So The rotary chamber is efectivly the piston, combustion chaber, and exhaust valves all rolled into one tidy package (obviously with all the bits in it)?

I bet they rev well high!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I did my apprenticeship on Mazda's and rebuilt a few RX-7's. The rotary engine is very good but tends to be a little fragile and the seals usually need doing at around 60k which is a strip down job.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
There are a lot of rumor mills suggesting the engines are unreliable, not the truth.

The RX7 has a twin rottary setup which takes its capacity to 1.3litres. This is capable of producing a massive 500bhp at the rear wheels in NA form. You can litterally bolt another rotor on if you wish with a crank to suit. They respond very well to turbo charging and can go stupidly fast, 230mph+.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The ****els are cracking.

A mate had a mk1 RX7 non turbo which rebuilt for him and he then had a mk2 turbo for a while.

The ****els are very simple, however the seal (not the apex seals then side seals) are a pain int he arse, they kink go all wonky and all over the shop.

Due to the fact that a twin rotor ****el on has 3 moving pats they can rev silly high.

The engine is also very light and compact.

They are also very smooth, they are easy to over rev, you get a wee light flashing on when you get over 7krpm but you can keep going.

They are also very loud, we started it without the exhaust on and 3 days later the ringing subsided.

2 plugs are used for each rotor cos the combustion chamber is very long.

Note charge cooler on the 1st link.

Chris

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
lol at w a n kel being erm moderated.

Also note vent to atrmosphere dump/blow off valve.

And external fuel pressure gauges.

Its a later RX7 to, you can tell cos the 1st gen have 4 bolt struts.

Chris

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
V-Tec lumps are better,especially 2.2 Litre :D

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
na I love the ol w ankel lump - especially after hearing it in my aunties RX7 :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
Chris_H42 said:
They are also very loud, we started it without the exhaust on and 3 days later the ringing subsided.
lmao lmao lmao

can deffo believe u on this one :D

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Aye, no reciprocating parts so can rev really high.
Effective capacity is twice the quoted capacity because every volume does a comple cycle for one crank revolution whereas on a conventional engine they only do 1/2 a cycle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts