Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a 1998 2.0 16V Ecotec Calibra and I'm having oil pressure problems! Basically when I start the car it's taking a lot longer than it used to for the oil pressure light to go out on the dash board (it's also got the Oil Pressure gauge in the centre console and this is showing the same thing, the oil pressure doesn't move for a while then suddenly kicks in).

Also sometimes, if I drive around, stop the engine, then up to an hour or so later get back in the car to go out again, the Oil Pressure light will come on and the gauge will show no pressure, and it will stay like that permanently, until I either stop and start the engine again, but if that doesn't work then as soon as I blip the throttle up to around 2,000 - 3,000 RPM the oil pressure kicks in, otherwise the car will sit at idle with no oil pressure.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Craig

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ephid0r said:
is there any knocking when u start the car up ?
Definitely more knocking when I start the car than previously but that's to be expected because of the extra delay in oil pressure kicking in.

0ddball said:
the relief valve could be sticking. if not it will be conventional reasons like pickup pipe seal, big end bearings etc.
Not being overly mechanically minded (I can do routine stuff) I'm assuming this would probably be something that I'd be better off taking to a garage for? Someone also suggested it was the anti drain valve in the oil filter sticking open/shut as I'd not long had a service when it started.

Craig

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The oil was changed about a month ago I'd say. I know I need to get it sorted but as it's only taking a while for the pressure to kick in on startup I thought I'd get some advice here first so if I take it to a garage I don't get fobbed off!

Tis a strange one, once I've managed to get the oil pressure to kick in it's fine for the rest of the journey, just either an extra long delay at startup, or sometimes no oil pressure whatsoever till I blip the throttle.

Cheers for the assistance.
Craig

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If the bearing shells are not a nice snug fit to the rods and end caps the oil all gushes out there as oppsed to finding it`s way out elswhere i.e. the cam, lifters and anywhere else that oil should be

**edited 4 spelling** lmao

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I had the same problem in my former engine. I changed a lot times of the pressure of spring of relief valve(for get higher oil pressure, i running a lot of time in 10 bar of oil pressure), i don´t know, but after this, the relief valve stopped with small area opened, and get off the pressure from this space. Before 2.000rpm don´t shows pressure, and the max pressure in gauge is 2 bar at 7.000rpm. Then, i try found a new spring and new relief valve, and i didn´t found, then, i put a new oil pump. Now, its stay so good.
Is good if you change the relief and spring of this to see.

How do big end bearing problems cause low oil pressure?
Because when the bearings stay with much gap, the oil can scape from there.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.