Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I cant work out whats wrong with my car, there seems to be no oil pressure once the engine gets hot but theres plenty of fresh oil in there? The engine does knock a little and its hardly noticeible but then again it always has knocked like that and I dont know if its the dash playing games becasue the light some time goes off and comes back on! I thought it might be the big-end shells or the oil pump then i thought it cant be as the drive is too smooth and it doesnt consume much oil!

What do I do from here guys I dont want my 21st bday present to die on me!

I would like to know how does one check the oil preesure of their engine?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Start engine, leave to run for a few seconds, open bonnet, remove oil filler cap and if there`s oil oozing from the cam lobes/oilways you have oil pressure and its the sender/dash/wiring telling you porkies!

There is certainly more scientific/technical ways of doing it but this`ll tell ya more or less, yes or no straight away

Also don`t take this as textbook, even tho you may have oil 'up top' there still may not be enough pressure behind it to prevent you from buggering ya engine

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
take it out and have a look ! its to the left of the crank sensor, under the PAS pump bracket if you have it

p.s consuming oil has no relation to worn big ends or oil pump.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if the relief valve is buggered what is the worse that can happen? the oil light comes on after about 10mins of driving and when the water temp is about 88

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
relief valves have been known to stick open, in which case you get no pressure, or stick shut in which case you get tons of pressure. whats the worst that can happen with no oil pressure ? the engine will lunch itself.

does the top end get a bit rattly when its up to temp ?

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
change the low pressure switch for the dash and go from there then. still think its bottome end though, poor hot idle pressure is indicative of big ends worn, plus you said it knocks a bit.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i think it does, you only hear it when you put your face next to the sump but apart its sound! how about if i put thinker oil in there for now?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I forgot to mention the gauge hasnt been going for months until about 4months ago so I suspect the sender or the gauge is faultly but do you text these things and where is it located(sender)?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
hmm

on my gte when the engine is really warm

on my digital dash it sits on around 1-2 bars whilst the temp is reading 3 - 4 bars

is this normal cos oil thins when under extreme temps ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.