Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
offset

Theres a write up about vauxhall offsets on the lastest issuse of Total Vauxhall (Feb).

It explains all you need to know.

Micky

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so a offset of +35, would that be ok on my astra - been told by a garage that they will fit (there the only alloys that i like) if i remove the lips on the arches. car should also be more stable as the width of the wheel base would be greater!

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Isn't the offest the amount shaved off the hub in comparison with being level with inner rim surface.

IE offest of 0 would mean hub was same width as wheel. The higher the offset the further in towards the car the wheel is.

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
ET35 on an astra? tram line city

they would stick out 14mm further than an ET49 each side

it wouldnt be more stable anyway, and you'll also wear out wheel bearings quicker

not that that matters i guess, but the garage is talking ********, as usual

go for 40's offset 40, 42, 45, 49

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
Fenix said:
Isn't the offest the amount shaved off the hub in comparison with being level with inner rim surface.

IE offest of 0 would mean hub was same width as wheel. The higher the offset the further in towards the car the wheel is.
that pretty much sums it up i guess in a round about way

·
Registered
215 Posts
Best offset for a Vauxhall is the 49mm offset no matter what anyone say's. With a 49mm offset you could get 17's on your car no problem at all with no arch mod's. Any decent wheel deeler would reckomend an offset of 45 or more for most vauxhalls

·
Registered
11,480 Posts
dude it depends really, if you went for an 8" wide rim on say a cav, like I did, then really you need ET40 to clear the strut

the further away the wheels front is from the hub, the worse the handlings gonna get on a vauxhall

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im going to contact the wheel manufacturer direct to see if they make a different offset! i was gonna go between 45/49 to be safe but just wanted to clarify the matter.
I might have to look at 18" dare v1's then as their 45. (but everyones got them)

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
offset is the amount the mating surface of the wheel to the hub is from the centre line of the wheel.

0 would be in the dead centre.
-30 would be 30mm towards the inside of the wheel from centre
+30 would be 30mm towards the outside of the wheel from the centre.

Therefore (assuming that you are comparing like for like wheel widths):
The recommended wheel offset for most vauxhals is 49.
If you put a 30 on the wheel will stick out from under the arch more.

Putting on a lower offset (i.e 30), especially if using low profile tyres as well, will lead to tramlining, where you get dragged all over the road as wheels follow ANY small contours in it. It will also create more stress on wheel bearing (knackering in quicker) and increase tyre wear, so decreasing it’s life expectancy.

As Haynzee said go for between 42 and 49mm.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
¥ said:
the further away the wheels front is from the hub, the worse the handlings gonna get on a vauxhall
I had ET35 wheels on my Cavalier when I bought it. Now I've got original Fan-style ET49 ones on, the steering and handling is so much better.

I bought the car from Southampton too. They probably bought the wheels from the same place that told you to go ET35, smitht. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All im gonna say Steve is South Coast Wheels!
(only place that you can see the wheels up close)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts