Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I've seen this somewhere but can't remember where! Basically I've got a wide arch kit but rather than go with crappy spacers and huge wheels I'd rather keep my nova's handling good.

Anyone know where/who I can get one from?

Help is much appreciated!

Tom

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I was driving a nova last year, for autotesting, which apparently had 'group A' front struts / hubs. I haven't a clue what make they were or where they were from, because it wasn't actually my car, but they were used in conjunction with an F20 and some standard vaux shafts (also not sure which ones!).
But this nova had standard wings on it and the wheels stuck about 2" proud of the arches if that helps.

This is a pic of the car in question, but i'm afraid I don't actually have any better shots of the suspension area.

·
Registered
9,160 Posts
Spacers and a bit wizardry with the wheels offset will do the trick,other than that i think your gonna be looking into cav/cali setup which is a slightly widertrack(iirc) but i think it'll require welding,possible turret work and mod'd bottom arm arrangement as you wont have the subframe.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
walden do them for ££££

·
Registered
312 Posts
if you try and im fearless who comes on here sometimes he will probably know where to get all the stuff you need from. i will try and have a word with him tomorrow. we sold a nova shell a couple of years ago to a rally lad and it was in some magazine advertising widetrack conversions.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
TAS used to produce a wide track kit, but i think they went pop a while back - they may have started up again though have a wee google. Protec used to supply a kit but i think this was the TAS item.
If your pockets are deep Pilbeam did a kit which may still be available? Have you tried rallydesign? they may do one?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Walden are the only people advertising them atm

I am desperate for wide track kit too - managed to source the rear second hand - but the front is proving difficult.

Looks like fabricated lower arms are the order of the day

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info, I'd love to find out what front setup that nova is running!

I heard somewhere that I can use a Corsa B GSi beam for the rear because it is an inch wider at each end??? Maybe MkII Astra GTE, depending on mounting points?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I 'heard' Astra mk2 reams beams (free disk upgrade!) can be used but never seen any proof

Corsas aren't as wide as Cav/Cally/Astra track - so even if it fitted, it would still need spacing

The Tas/Pro-tech/Demon thives (all produced by TAS) kit used stub axel spacers - fitting between the rear beam and brake set up. Will post pics when I open mine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I think thats where I saw the kit on Pro-tec for something like a grand.

p16vlv, it would be great if you get find out!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Have you tried Harry Hockley?

Eurorally have some high end used Nova suspension but none of it appears to be wide track related. Worth giving then a bell though as they do have a high turnover of bits.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

That's the TAS wide track setup I have under my Nova. There are also replacement turrets and eccentric topmounts in it. Cost me around £450 over 3 years ago. I bought the uniballs seperately from Harry Hockly, cost another £230. I'm using Calibra equal length driveshafts and hubs, along with rebored hub carriers and GroupA/VW Golf Synchro 4x4 rear wheel bearings. As said, TAS went under a while ago now, although I'm sure I read on here somewhere that they had started up under a completely different name again; "Comp" something or other rings a bell.....!?!
Astra/Corsa beams don't work, the mounting points are in different places.
From what I've seen/heard, the Walden wide track kit, although a lot more expensive, is better designed than the TAS version. You get a complete rear beam in that kit aswell, instead of spacers for the rear stubs. Their site is at www.waldenengineering.co.uk

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
sorry for the off topic post, but any pics of the steering arms arrangement?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

They just provided an extension to screw onto the end of the tierod. TAS screwed up on those. They wouldn't fit the Nova tierods at all when I got them because they'd drilled/tapped them to suit Astra/Cav tracking adjusters, instead of Nova ones. As you can see, the standard trackrod ends are replaced with rosejoints. This meant I also had to get the tapered hole on the steering knuckle bored out to fit the bearing side spacers in place. Useful though, as you can mount the steering arms below the knuckle to keep the lowering/bump steer probs at bay

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Its Compbrake who are now TAS, I'm quite sure HH do the kit if not just try Compbrake

Out of interest does anyone do similar tie bars ;like the widetrack kit but for standard setup that allow normal tie bar mounts to be used ?

I have a exhaust manifold issue on a xe nova and if the tie bar ran at a tighter angle like in those pics then i would have no problem

·
Registered
925 Posts
Compbrake website and catalouge don't offer the wide track kit (nor most of the competition Nova parts they offered - mixed opinion on this one - they were the only people to offer these parts, but more often then not, they didn't fit)

HH don't do this kit - they do works style set ups, but for standard track.

jonlem, instead of having your tie bars at a sharper angle, why not lower them? Not only will this solve your manifold issues, but also improve your handling (I have a set I could sell on, PM me if your interested)

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Agreed, I would be careful of any TAS products !

Phil, I'm already running pro tec rose jointed mounts in the dropped position, manifold catches on tie bar in both positions

heres a pic (hopefully)

·
Registered
925 Posts
hmmmmm. have you tried reposotioning the engine?

are you running comp mounts?

Perhaps you could angle it a little towards the passenger side?

(If you haven't guessed, I don't know the answer)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts