Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted a complete looking Nova GTE in Essex today with a police aware sticker.

Its a shame, looks like one the joyriders have had fun with.

I hope it dont end up in the crusher, Can anyone claim these cars with police aware stickers or are they doomed to get crushed by the council?

If anyones interested it on the new stretch of A130 between the A12 and A127.

A127 end just outside the roadworks up on the grass (Chelmsford bound carriageway)

·
Registered
7,839 Posts
if u wana touch the car i was told u gotta apply to the DVLA to get the car in your name or alternatively u can pay like a £5 premium and the DVLA will give you the owners details, n obviously if the owner says do wat u want go for it

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i spotted it today too, on the way too / from work, it looks like a nice motor.

anyone else have any gen on the laws surrounding things like this?

or is it a case of brake the window and steering lock, change the plates and tow it to the lock up sharpish??? lmao

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
if it's got a we will tow this away sticker on it the police cant touch you if you tow it away or take anything of it coz they don't know the owner is so they cant charge you with anything :) I'm just waiting for a evo with one on :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah i saw it on the way home as well looks like some damage to the driver side front bumpers looks hanging of...........apart from that looks ok ....that motor wont be there for long...........:D

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
The police will only take it if they deem it dangerous, otherwise its the responsibility of the local authority.

When the police stick their sticker on they will normally PNC it and possibly chase the owner up, they may just refer it staright to the local council. If the car is on 'public highway' (this includes verges pavements etc) then any interested party must be given a minimum of 7 days notice before vehicle is removed. This is normally done with a sticker on the vehicle from the council explaining the relevent laws and contacts etc. The council must make 'reasonable' enquiries as to the keeeper. This does not neccessarily include the DVLA recorded keeper as these details may not turn up until weeks after the 7 days are up. After 7 days (or whatever stipulated) notice has expired the council can remove the vehicle. If it is deemed unroadworthy (the majority are, even probably this nova due to the lowish value) the car is v likey to be scraped. If it is roadworthy it can still be removed but will normally be stored until the keepers details turn up so that they can be written to to be sure. In either case the council has powers to recover the cost of removal, any storage, and disposal charges, from the registered keeper (if any). This will be arranged when the details are known.

On privately owned (but open) land the powers are very similar although the council must give the land owner 14 days (min) notice. This again is normally done by a sticker on the car. removal storage and disposal are the same as in the case for public highway.

One last point is that councils will be reluctant to remove a car that has a valid tax disc as this is evident that there is an obvious financial interest in the car.

You may be able to contact the council about the Nova and dependent on their practices, put in an offer on the car if no owner is evident. If the council insist on removing the car for disposal you may be able to find out their contracted breakers and contact them direct.

cheers

Rich

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't gone past there for a few days. Its proberably on bricks with every widow smashed and burnt out by now.:(

I'm not interested in having it myself, I just though it could come in very usefull for a Nova owner.

Someone rescue it.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
check if the tax is current on the GTE and where the tax was bought... if the tax is current they can't touch it.... for all u know it may have just broken down.... we had a maestro dumped in our village and the council couldn't do **** till the remaining month of tax ran out + 7days (pity someone removed the wheels so it was unroadworthy and was removed within 48 hrs lmao )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts