Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been out in the Nova GSi on my lunch break nipped to the garage and to Vauxhall ran fine no probs at all.

When i got back to my car park at work the idle was really low and felt like it was going to stall. Revved it sounds like its running on three.

Bearing in mind it was fine until i drove back into the car park im a bit stumpped.

The only thing(s) i can think off are the following

Plug and/or leads (although i cant see how this would just pop like that and the leads look ok from view)

Induction kit the old hot air problem (but why would it start doing that then when the car appears to be running at normal temprature anyway)

Comments welcome.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Have u got tha leads with the dodgy springs on the end of them??

Could be tha spring is pushing/has pushed the lead slightly off the plug??

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rotor arm and cap was changed just before i bought it have the invoice to show that.
And i can see they are new.

The leads do have the springs and i have just ordered new plugs and leads anyhow, just running like a bag of crap, going to have to limp it home 18 miles - not good.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just been outside to it, started it up pulled lead away from plug on cylinder one no difference, c 2 different pitch, c 3 different pitch, c 4 different pitch.

The lead is fooked i think. Going to have to limp it home 20 miles, but got some new leads waiting which is nice.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep i thought that to - not looking forward to driving home tho - got a couple of big hills to get up and i think im gunna have my work cut out literally!

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well got home fitted new leads and plugs lovely erm.... no still doing it - pulled the oil filler cap off, and its chuffing out smoke, head gasket failure i think.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
any bubles rising the in the expansion coolant tank when car is warmed up ?

any buldges in any of the coolant hoses >

any oil in coolant, any milkshake texture in the cam housing or on the oil filler cap ?

if u is using a k&n induction kit ?, sometimes when it gets really hot, the hot air makes the car idle irratically

could be a blocked injector ?

is there any smoke coming out the exhaust when it idles irratically

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doing a compression test tonight to make sure that the cylinder is defo down.

No mayo in the water or on the dipstick ( i know you dont have to have the symptoms)
So either the head gasket has given way at the top around the piston because i think the oilways and the waterways are ok.

Failing that it could be a value problems or even a piston down at the most servere.

problem is that i know engines can be had for cheap but i havent got anywhere to do the swap or the equipment to put it in myself and ill be buggered if im gunna throw lots of money at it, all i wanted to do was tidy it up but if the engine has blown badly im either gunna strip it and sell everything or drop an XE in it, if i find a decent engine to chuck in it - sod putting another C16SE in it when you can upgrade.

but i do need to do the compression test and get the head off to have a proper look.

Induction kit - nope dont think so started it cold this morning still doing it.
No smoke out of the exhaust
Hoses are fine
Water and oil is fine

Steam is coming out of the oil filler cap so i think im a cylinder down regardless.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.