Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Ben found a guy 3D printing shrouds for the Dash2 we both run.



Should help with the glare.

Also been waiting on the new top mounts to come in, Ben has had these machined up

Originals





Notice the circlip on the bottom and the step on the top.

Meaning we could only get it over and back so far





New ones are flipped over, something people do with the originals but we weren't happy with the whole load going through the circlip.

Hence





Bolted them on





With all the settings the same, apart from lowering the bottom spring cup 15mm to account for the upstand being on the bottom, we went from 2 degrees of negative camber to off the gauge, which goes up to 7!!

Dialled the adjuster on the shock to knuckle bolt to land somewhere around 3 degrees. More caster now too.

I'll get a 4 wheel alignment booked for next week and fingers crossed we can get the setup where I want it.

Brands on 23/7 so I'm nearly ready.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
irst little adventure of the day.


Coolant boiled over and front tyres first, then rear tyres, bit of tree chopping and got straight into the pits.

I could see a fluid coming out so switched off straight away.

Water temp was up at 102, oil 106, I've seen those temps before so wasn't worried as it was a hot day

After an age to cool down, decided to whip the stat out and run statless. Luckily I did, it was jammed solid




No idea what this residue is, looks like RTV but it's not RTV as I haven't used any in the coolant system. It felt quite solid, really weird.

Anyway, stat removed and engine ran at 80 water 95 oil for the rest of the day, which I'd say is about right for me.

More videos incoming.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Well this went wrong in a big way......











Box and block are ok, very very lucky escape. New cover plate and 4 paddle friction plate being delivered Wednesday should be back rolling Thursday for Mallory on the 12th August.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
So after discussion with James @ Relentless, who has been excellent helping sort this all out, he has been in contact with AP.

They recommend that we switch to a 4 paddle, which is on order to be delivered here tomorrow and fitted.

However, on Monday when we first spotted the friction plate damage we immediately ordered another 6 paddle from AP as a direct replacement. As above I've been advised not to use it but thought I'd take a look at it as it arrived today.

My original friction plate which AP say has no design issues and the cracking is down to either something I've done or engine harmonics.



The new friction plate, same part number, totally different design..... notice the paddles are bigger, the slots end in oval shaped holes not round.



In short that's a totally different friction plate!!!

I've taken the opportunity while at Ben's to do a few little things that have been on the list for a while, cleaned all my oil lines and engine strainers, cleaned the bay, made an attempt at some front brake cooling and sorted my headlight inlet.

Brake cooling






Cut the plates out in the guillotine and welded them up myself, as I'm now in the circle of trust, Ben lets me use the MIG!! Added some outlets and a splash of paint, these are just proof of concept so probably not the finished item.





There's not much space in there so it's a case of best of a bad job, these tubes use a plate shaped to match the caliper bracket and act as a washer behind the brakes to knuckle bolts. Best solution we could come up with.




Ducted using a flexi rubber ducting which is really good but doesn't contain the wire inside so if a wheel touches it then I hope it won't explode and end up in something.

Engine inlet feed







Didn't like the way the air feed came out the headlight, looked a bit too shonky, so I set about making a headlight blank, I've aslo got a headlight sticker coming that I'll cut the hole out the middle of. Should look decent when done.

Fingers crossed we'll be back running tomorrow!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Friction plate arrived at 11.40am, car was driving at 4.30pm.



Ben found an old transit 1"x23 spline input shaft. He lined it up by eye and then checked it with the input shaft and it was bang on, so on went the box. I'm shit at lining them up so let Ben's skills run free!!!



Back in the car, everything just bolts into place no crow bar or effort needed, so easy!!



Sorting the wiring and water hoses at the back of the block



Boom, back together and drives really well, clutch feels totally different, bite is mid pedal travel now where as it used to be right at the top of the pedal.



While things were apart I got the chance to investigate an annoying "ting tinging" noise like something was touching the flywheel, it happened every time I turned right only, my thoughts were starter motor gear touching the flywheel!! I was proved right, the return spring on my Brise starter motor had come off and the cog was free to flop in and out, everytime I turned right the centrifugal force pushed the cog out to touch the flywheel!!! Annoying but now solved!!

Anyway, Mallory 12th August.
 
121 - 130 of 130 Posts
Top