Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, sometime this week I'll have a chance to grind back my nova arches a couple mm's. I dont have a grinder but I was thinking to get the attachment you put on a drill plus the grinding disk.

I only wanna take a few mm's off and gradually, so I can take the least off but still clear the tyres.

Anyone know from experience what type of grinding disk is best suited for the job?

Thanx :beer:

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
an angle grinder is best really,
and you be pick up for near a tenner,
then you can run it along the lip gently grinding it back,

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
grind away a few mm of the arch and by a few months rot will have formed, you are better getting them rolled as this creates a double skin at the folded edge of the arch which is then sealed with sikaflex to stop moisture getting in between the inner and outer panel

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
you can grind them back,but as said rust can form,
but if you seal them right up,you should be ok.

and yeah the one in the links fine,as its not like your going nuts of anything,

·
MIGClub Member
15,237 Posts
Cheap grinders are more common (& cheaper) than finding a packet of discs. They always come with a few discs anyway. Makes them disposable almost. Think if you buy one from Toolstation, they have lifetime warranties. Just keep taking it back if it breaks.

I'd recommend you roll the arches or be carefull you only remove a small amount of the lip. the double skin makes the rear quarters a structural point of strength for the rear of the shell.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thing is I would prefer to get em rolled but at the mo I dnt have the cash to take it to the pro's.

Grinding was an option suggested by a couple of ppl. If i were to grind it would only literally be a mm or so as the arch is very slightly rubbing.

What, after grinding, would be the best way to protect the exposed metal?

Thanx for you advise :beer:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
x20xev said:
Was thinking the same mate, altho it may be a while :eek:
Rather wait and not have to pay additional monies when your arch is rotten and needs replacing;)

·
MIGClub Member
15,237 Posts
x20xev said:
Thing is I would prefer to get em rolled but at the mo I dnt have the cash to take it to the pro's.

Grinding was an option suggested by a couple of ppl. If i were to grind it would only literally be a mm or so as the arch is very slightly rubbing.

What, after grinding, would be the best way to protect the exposed metal?

Thanx for you advise :beer:
Leave it scrubbing. It always sounds far worse than it is anyway!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Benn said:
seam sealent,
and or nice thick tar like under seal.
I got that thick tar like undersealent. What about stuff like spary on stone chip protection like Waxoyl with Shultz?

Im guessing if it were to be rolled then paint could crack it may need a respray too and other complications could come up.

Dunno what to do :confused:

Need money* :(

*Any donations will be greatly appreciated. Make cheques payable to X20XEV* :beer:

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
i used seam sealant,
they the shultz stuff we have,then the tar like under seal,
the more the better....

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
cool,
as said rolling/folding is better,
but if you cant afford/finf anywhere to get it done,

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Benn said:
i used seam sealant,
they the shultz stuff we have,then the tar like under seal,
the more the better....

Hello benn (bit of thread highjacking :eek: ) painting the underneath of my car, i'm after that tar stuff you've mentioned what is it?

What would you do seamseal all the joins then paint then tar stuff then paint over top that?

tar:rolleyes: :D

·
Administrator
61,461 Posts
we use stuff called greystrip,
its a seal sealent,
its a brush on stuff,
but there are spray on stuff(compusser needed tho)
then you can paint under seal over the top...(what i have done)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts