Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fitted a Centrifugal Supercharger to a nova?

Anyone heard any stories of people doing this and any gen?????

How much boots can I run without the engine going pop?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Why you looking for a Supercharger? Turbocompressor is much more efficient and cheaper/easier to install. If you care about the power in low revs, you can choose a very small turbo, will have a litle same curve of torque and power of supercharger.
And, if there, is like here, supercharger kitt is really expensive, is much more easier and cheaper you increase cubic capacity, you will have much more torque and power in low revs. The small block Vauxhall can go to 1800cc with high stroke config. Will provide a really good torque in low revs, and don´t will add much weight.

cheers

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as it goes I am building the Supercharger so it will not cost that much about £350.

The only thing is that it is going to take quite a bit of hard work and time to get right.

More of a project for the sake of doing it that a quest for big power.

Also centrifugal superchargers are are a lot more effecient than the usual root, twin screw type superchargers.

There is also the point that with a turbo I will have to get a new Exhaust manifold, an intercooler, new carb, lots of tubeing.........The list goes on.

Besides everyone has a turbo these days, want something a bit different.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
You could still do with an intercooler if possible.
How are you going to plumb up the oil for the supercharger? It could have its own oil supply like a Rotrex centrefugal charger.
If you get a couple of pulleys and run one for low boost first to make sure its all running fine then you could run the one for higher boost later.
Youll need to research the ratio between pully size and crank pulley size to work out the boost. The Supercharger might only be able to handle .6 bar or something at certain revs.
You are building the charger yourself? - Not from scratch surely?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well as I am using a belt drive configuration with ABEC-9 precision bearing I will not need an oil feed the unit will be half filled with oil so the bearing should me good up to 64000 rpm (according to the manufacturer).

It will not be possible to have a intercooler (as I think it was CHIP the pointed it out) the air coming out of the charger will already have the fuel added, so the fuel would condense with an intercooler, result intercooler full of fuel.

Not building the whole thing from scratch.
Using the compressor and spindle from a Garrett t-15 building the rest myself.

Quite time consuming though the spindle is made out of the hard mental I have even come across. Took me about an hour and a half to turn it down to the size I needed.

Broke three tool steel bit in the process, ended up using a tungsten bit instead.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
hmm interesting. Don't you think the oil/charger is going to get too hot if it just sits in there?
How come the fuel will be added in/before the charger? surely it will be added in the carb?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should not get too hot as the fuel/air mix has a slight cooling effect on the charger that should counteract the heat produced by the adiabatic effect.

In fact if you look at the following link you will see a belt drive charger that has no oil at all.
http://www.powerdyne.com/silentdr.htm

The fuel will be added by the carb, it is just that I intend for the charger to such the air though the charger rather than push it through.

So the air will follow the path of:
Air filter -> Carb -> Charger -> Inlet Manifold

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To be honest though the whole thing may just fall apart when it goes over 30000 rpm. lmao

I would be a lot more confident if a had a computer controlled metal lathe.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the suck through arrangement only works on roots and screw tpye to try and sort leakage probs past the rotors. in a centrifugal design the y often work best as blow through - especially when using a carb.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
the most basic system if u want to blow through in make a sealed chamber to go round the carb otherwise youl get fuel flowing back into the blower, not into the inlet caused by different air pressures from ambient to inlet

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
you can install turbocompressor in two types too. You can put compressor to aspirate air, and pressurize to send to inlet TB/Carb(most common), or you can put the compressor for aspirate the mixture from carb/tb and send to TB/Carb. The most advantage in second option, is only for carbs engines, for security, because in first option, the carb when pressurized, can crash the carbbody(that only made for work in vacuum, and not positive pressure), and in second option, it will continuos work in vacuum, and only the manifold will work pressurized.

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.