Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing decorating and I've replaced the central heating thermostat, but the heating doesn't work . On the wiring I've got a yellow and green wire which is obviously earth but I've got a red and a black wire and I have 4 holes marked from left to right 2 , 3 , 4 , 1 . I'm not sure where the red and black wires go, also the thermostat isn't clicking until about 25 degrees:confused:

·
Registered
45,356 Posts
Maybe the house temperature is 25 degrees already? Only clicks when you are asking for an higher teperature than it is receiving.

·
Registered
20,473 Posts
My central heating is set at 16degrees and rises up to 21.

The red is the live and the black is the earth but as to which place they go in i dont know. I take u aint got the fitting instructions for the theremostat?

·
Registered
15,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nickyboy said:
My central heating is set at 16degrees and rises up to 21.

The red is the live and the black is the earth but as to which place they go in i dont know. I take u aint got the fitting instructions for the theremostat?
No my Lady's old man got it from work at travis perkins.

·
Registered
51 Posts
thermostat

Your black and red wires are just a switch wire so if you put them together the heating will come on all you have to do is use a multimeter on a continuity test and find out which numbers on the thermostat are the switch 2 terminals when activated will give you a reading the same as if you were touching the multimeter wires together they are the 2 you use doesn't matter what way round.dead simple make sure you only get a reading off the multimeter when the thermostat is turned on

·
Registered
15,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Si I'll give it a try, the make is Honeywell.
There is a diagram inside the lid and I think I've put them in the right place , I take it red is Live and black is neutral.

·
Registered
15,614 Posts
As already said if it's a basic thermostat with a dial there are only 2 connections. (like a switch).

That is what the red and black wires are.

Look on the diagram for the switch symbol.

If the heating is on when it should be off then you have connected to the wrong terminal.

If you have a multimeter use it on the stat alone.

If your house isn't 25° when it's clicking then maybe you have screwed it to the wall too tight or twisted it ?
or it's faulty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts