Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while now since i did anything on the engine but i decided to refit it today, all went smoothly as well for a change! As you can see the engine is almost there now, just needs plumbing in and wiring up. JP exhausts are cming out this week to look at my manifold to decide what angle to weld the new furbo flange on at and also to decide where to place the tube tor my Turbosmart Pro-gate 45 external gate that is a ***king work of art :cool:. Need to make all my braided lines up now :(

Enjoy Rick

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really sure when it will be ready, i know when i would like it done for but that depends on everything going right which lets face it it never does!

Here is a pic of my external wastegate

Rick

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
Rick best place for the wastegate is where all 4 tubes collect, not easy to do on that manifold though. BTW its still a crappy Nova ;) :eek: :D lmao

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
lol, crappy nova :rolleyes: :p

rick, thats looking awesome mate. dont listen to these folk that "captain" their boats...sorry cars i mean. :p

make sure youve got a video camera or two handy when its goin up the strip mate im very interested to see how it performs.

rodgerq

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
what are the verniers for? got some nuts cams in there aswell have we?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
RDS said:
Rick best place for the wastegate is where all 4 tubes collect, not easy to do on that manifold though.
You mean as in pre-turbo, that a better setup than having it just after the turbo then?

Rick thats looking great, who made the manifold?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
yeah an external gate is better by far. boost will build much quicker as the gate stays shut till the preset boost pressure is set then it "cracks". no boost creep like with an actuator controlled internal gate. sounds great aswell. probably a good few other reasons why its better, maybe to do with flow through it etc etc.

rodgerq

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rob there is space for the tube where all 4 meet, JP have it all under control but just wanted to check what angle would suit my needs best.

At least my engine is in a proper car, not a ****y cav/cally! Kill them all i say. Rick

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
rodgerq said:
yeah an external gate is better by far. boost will build much quicker as the gate stays shut till the preset boost pressure is set then it "cracks". no boost creep like with an actuator controlled internal gate.
That has nothing to do with it being internal or external.

There are other reasons for an external gate though.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
BASStra said:
Expand on that please. :)
Large amount of gas flow and greater control of the gate, so more accurate boost control.

And depending on how you design the install, you can have an atmospher dump pipe or nicely merge it in with the exhaust a bit further downstream. You can split of an internal gate like this, but it's not as easy.

Nice to have, but not absolutely nescessary unless you're going to be running lot of power.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Thanks chap.

Assuming an external gate needs aftermarket management or separate controller to operate it as opposed to being vacuum controlled like normal actuator?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
No, it's just the same. Just the wastegate 'flap' (it's not a flap on an external gate) is not part of the turbo.

Only odd things occur when you have dual port actuators, but you can get them in both internal and external gate forms.

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
ChrisB said:
That has nothing to do with it being internal or external.

There are other reasons for an external gate though.

an internal wastegate will never control boost like an external one right up to the point i have made about it waiting till the lvery last minute to crack open. when do you ever see an internal actuator controlled wastegate doin this?

see here aswell

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66720

rodgerq

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
See ATC's reply.

I don't agree with yours and John's comments on it cracking at the last minute. Boost creep can happen on either setup it just depends on how you are controlling the gate. As I've said above, you can get dual port actuators for either too, they have a port to pressurise to force the gate shut.

As I said, it's nice to have if you're going the whole hog. But anyone who thinks it will make a huge difference on a 'normal' engine is kidding themselves.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.