Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after much walking around a breakers today i have decided to build my own kit for my car - well front and rear bumpers first anyways - what i need to know is

how difficult is it to do this
what tools will i need (i have a good selection just want to see if i need anything else)
materials needed!!

i know its going to be difficult, if it wasn;t i wouldn;t do it!!! At least my kit will be orignal!

any help or input would be helpful and no commiting me to a mental institute isn;t a option, they won;t take me!!!

Cheers lads

George

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just realised it would help if i could spell!!! (name of the thread)

oops

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
You'll need fibreglass, fibreglass matting, resin and hardener, fibreglass filler(P40), ordinary body filler (P38). Also some kind of bonding agent like Sikaflex.
As for how hard it'll be, just take your time, be careful when mixing hardener and resin for the fibreglass/fillers. Try and get the mix right (by following the instructions) and don't mix too much in one go, or it'll set in the pot before you have a chance to use it.
It might take time (I must've spent about 70 hours just modifying my front and rear Nova GSi style bumpers - damn these amateurs :D) but it'll be worth it at the end of the day when it's different from all the rest.

Cheers,
Kieran

PS: the Killarney institute might take you - they're supposed to be quite flexible ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers kieran

i just noticed where your from too, excellent, someone near enough if i get in trouble!!!!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just out of interest, where can u buy Silkaflex from? Im fitting the infinity apron 2 my bumper, and ive used pop rivets and bought some Isopon filler, will the Isopon do the trick?

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
g_land: Yeah, I'm not too far from Limerick, 49 miles down the road from the city, in the very back, of the back of beyond - that'll be Listowel then, lol ;)

Dadaddy23: My Sikaflex came from Partco. I first rang up Sika to find out which one of their bonding agents I needed for the fibreglass to steel join (they do different glues for different joins). They told me I needed Sika 227, which seems to be used for most "joins" in the motor industry.

Hope that helps,
Kieran

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
More chance of the Limerick lads taking over than the Kerry lads - I think I'm on my own at the mo....if Vauxhall had knocked out a couple of tractors though, we'd be made lmao.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
ADA-V is currently modding his existing GTE front bumper, I saw it today in the flesh, and I must say I was very impressed. He has done the open mouth mod, with removing the nump strips and smoothed them.

Looks ace.

Micky

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gutted

Evening Micky

Just been looking through site and found pics of my old car. Then after investigation I read some posts that the owner put out saying she was deed. Feels like a family member. How's you? :confused:

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
cav3micky said:
ADA-V is currently modding his existing GTE front bumper, I saw it today in the flesh, and I must say I was very impressed. He has done the open mouth mod, with removing the nump strips and smoothed them.

Looks ace.

Micky
Is that a Nova GTE or Astra GTE bumper? :)

Cheers,
Kieran

1 - 11 of 11 Posts