Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Having had this pic from a turbo owner on here and i think thats a frontera Inter-Cooler....

here is mine....

can someone who knows... please tell me whatexact hoses and sizes and lengths i need to hook this mofo up as i want it sorted last year :eek:

cheers adam

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
whats the bore of the bit where the silicon hoses meet the turbo?

and the bore of the bit where the silicon meets pipe under dizzy?

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k ta matey even the hose that runs up to the rear of turbo cover?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Adam said:
k ta matey even the hose that runs up to the rear of turbo cover?
yes there all the same size appart from where some of them are flared out at the ends to fit on to the bottom of the turbo and the top hat but that wont be affected by fitting a bigger intercooler

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k cheers for that info so i know i need 51mm hoses to hook up to the frontera intercooler but....what type of hose would i need to go from the intercooler to the turbo 'after' the 90 degree bend part... :confused:

also... hmm hold on them pipes connected to the IC what sizes are they as they aint blooming 90 degree and 45 are they??

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
on the drivers side you can use the standard 90 bends to get the right shape and on the passenger side the 90 bend points up to clear the gearbox and after that you can cut up the standard pipe to get the right shape :D

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so do u mean passenger side...
buy a silicon 90 degree 51mm bore bend... fit that to the left side of the ic (i.e. passenger side)

driver side.... ohh feck it i dont understand euw mun :mad: :(

i want to use silicon hoses not standing vaux black ****e...

so can u go again and take it from the top mate

cheers adam

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BarryGTE said:
there all 51mm inside diamiter mate

lookie what i found matey...ohh no they aint :eek:

Now onto the actual pipework -

The main stumbling block here was, surprisingly, not really my fault although I should have thought about it as we are talking about the masterminds of Vauxhall here. I had assumed (first mistake) that Vauxhall would be using 50mm diameter pipework for the standard induction path and so had bought all the hoses in that diameter. I also acquired the metal piping needed from my brother in 50mm as well.

So here is me, under the car ready to start fitting the pipes. I was going to use the existing turbo "down pipe" which was a 90o bend and simply rotate it through 180o to attach it to the rest of the new pipework (2nd mistake) This is where it got interesting.

As mentioned above, I had assumed Vauxhall to use the standard 50mm piping all the way through. Not chuffing likely !!!!

What the "boffins" at Vauxhall had decide to do was to take the 50mm turbo exit and use a reducer on the 90o bend I was going to use so it dropped it to 45mm.... I mean they went to all that hassle to drop the poxy induction pipework bore by a lousy 5mm !!!!

So here is me with a 50mm metal pipe and a 45mm end.... What to do. I needed the car the next day as it was going to Aberdeen (see Unichip story) After more cups of tea I called Russ. He happened, as always, to have the answer - a spare bit of 50mm 90o bend hose that I could blag. Now, how to get the 30 miles to his place.......

I decided to try my best so I slit the 45mm end at the 2 sides and forced it onto the metal pipe. Not surprising, the hose blew off under boost so I had to put me thinking cap on and within minutes I had the answer...... DUCT TAPE!!!!

I forced the pipe back into the hose and wrapped LOTS of duct tape around it to stop it moving out. This got me far enough (Russ's house) to get the spare pipe and, after 30 mins, the job was done and the custom intercooler was fitted and working great =)
taken from here :cool: clicky

so now what? lmao :(

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:eek: how? no metal spacer things and connectors?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
easy mate,cut the metal pipe up and use that.
i used a bit about 4"long to join the the two 90bends and the bit left over was used to make the pipe to the inlet longer and went over the gearbox and under the dizzy

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
ive just read your other thread mate and no you dont need to fit an xe rad the turbo one is ok but you need to make a mount for the gearbox side of it because the mount is attached to the standard intercooler

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BarryGTE said:
easy mate,cut the metal pipe up and use that.
i used a bit about 4"long to join the the two 90bends and the bit left over was used to make the pipe to the inlet longer and went over the gearbox and under the dizzy

ooo right lets see.....

so rip the metal pipe out as thats whats used with standard ic yeah...

get 4" say lazy lob size aye

ermm what 2 90 degree bends? is that on the left side ermm oh sheet im lost now :(

·
Registered
43,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BarryGTE said:
ive just read your other thread mate and no you dont need to fit an xe rad the turbo one is ok but you need to make a mount for the gearbox side of it because the mount is attached to the standard intercooler

ahhh ok cool so when rip old ic out make new mount for right hand side to hold rad in position..ermm what kinda mount? spud of metal plate welded somewhere?

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
in the standard pipe work there are 2 90bends at eather end of the metal pipe but these need to be joined together with the 4"bit of metal pipe and that is from the turbo to the intercooler on the left side and about the rad bracket,i havnt got round to making mine yet but it shouldnt be to difficult

1 - 17 of 17 Posts