Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, like the title says im getting a Fuel trim error code P0170 coming up in my 2004 Astra 1.6 Twinport (Z16XEP). Iv had it on and off for the last few months and its starting to get annoying now!

Came on whilst doing a monster trip up the M6 to the Lake District from Oxford, when i reset it with a reader it went away for a couple of weeks then came on again. Now if i reset it, it comes on again within a day or two.

Symptoms seem to be slight hesitation and occassionally when you get up to cruising speed then lift off the rpms rise/fall like a bit of a hiccup. It also idles a bit rough when hot, but generally is no different to how it always was.

I have not noticed any difference in fuel economy and still get around 430miles out of a tank.

Iv tested the MAF sensor resistance and it seems OK, so maybe an O2 sensor to blame? Thing is i dont want to be shelling out for expensive sensors just to find the fault is still there.

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know it's an old post - but I've got the same on my Zafira Z18XE 1.8 petrol. It's started hunting now when holding the speed on gentle upward slopes or going round roundabouts. I called the AA while I was out today and he showed my live data from the Long Term Fuel Trim sensor was not changing. His technical database says it's part of throttle body (makes sense to me - there's enough wires in the connector to the throttle body). I won't know for sure if it caused the 0170 code until I've changed it and run it for a couple of hundred miles, but I'll post back once I have in case it helps anyone else.

·
Registered
454 Posts
On the xep engine if I remember correctly where the inlet manifold joins to the head right underneath it there is a divider plate the runs across all 4 inlet ports with is for the egr valve, these become blocked. Also it have very small ducts into the head that also become blocked. I had the manifold removed to do mine maintain so you have good access to it all. The plate is approx 4-500 mm long 70mm wide and 5 mm thick

·
Registered
8 Posts
it comes up with low fuel but fuel pressure great , my car runs ok untill hot then sort of holds bk in power and sometimes maybe misfire nut only at low revs i will take manifold off and also clean egr cheers for ur help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm not sure why there is no airflow meter (there is only MAP - which is pressure meter) but in previous engines Z16XE and Z14XE there was no MAF as well (for example 1.8 has MAF).
Many MPI engines have no MAF. ECU calculating amount of air from throttle body position or in previous engines from sensor in throttle body.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
On the xep engine if I remember correctly where the inlet manifold joins to the head right underneath it there is a divider plate the runs across all 4 inlet ports with is for the egr valve, these become blocked. Also it have very small ducts into the head that also become blocked. I had the manifold removed to do mine maintain so you have good access to it all. The plate is approx 4-500 mm long 70mm wide and 5 mm thick
For anyone else with this problem on this engine, there are pictures of this available on VXON here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts