Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ello miggers,

im tryin to get half*rds to price match a headunit and speakers etc, but although they have it written on the walls everywhere ''we wont be beaten on price etc'' they say tehy can only go down to 300

It the alpine CDA7893r and i want it for 240 or less.

Also the shop that sells it at that is in tottenham court rd. and its more than their 20 miles away thing, so i sed surly you could get it sent donw and price matched from a branch near there and they sed no....

Has ne1 price matched before?

if ne1 works at halfords wot would u get it for??

cheers, james

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
when the pioneer cd player came out, not sure of model
the one with the eagle flying on the screen and the cars

it was 300 in halfords, my mate found it in a magazine in a shop that was based within 50 miles of halfords for 199.99

halfords... sorry we cant match or beat it!

so whats the f ing point then!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol exactly m8, surly its trading standards or somethin??

i would go up2 london and get it but.......

1. not open on sundays, and im a student n work on sat
2. No parking
3. Aint carring £100's of stero and subs on the train
4. It will cost bout 15 to get up thre and im skint!

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
Hello :)

I bought my 7893r last week. The Halfords branches I phoned wouldn't budge from their price of £350. Also other shops including official Alpine dealers would drop their price a bit but they had none in stock and couldn't get one until the end of Feb.

I got mine from http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/

£240 + £15 P+P

delivered next day.... well it would have been delivered next day if the courier hadn't went to the wrong house :rolleyes:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i seen that site, although some people said that the units they sell (well most mail orders in genral) are catagory 'B' which means they are refurb units and arnt the same as the 1's in halfords etc....

wot ya think??? i was think it was a cr/-\p excuse for not price matchin?

lol cheers, james

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
badboy 4life said:
although some people said that the units they sell (well most mail orders in genral) are catagory 'B' which means they are refurb units and arnt the same as the 1's in halfords etc....

wot ya think??? i was think it was a cr/-\p excuse for not price matchin?

Yeah, that's what the 'Official' Alpine dealers said when they wouldn't price match.
Think about it though... the internet companies must sell hundreds at those prices. Do Alpine really have so many units to refurbish? :confused:
The lowest I could get an 'Official' Alpine dealer was £269. But then as I said Alpine had none in stock and he couldn't get it until the end of Feb.
There are quite a few people on here who've bought their 7893r's from internet sites and nobody's mentioned any problems.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah thats exactly wot i fort m8? there are at least 5 big big mail order companys that prob account for most of alpines sales?

i neva herd of them go wrong!!!

:confused:

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
A lot of the kit for sale at discounted prices are "Grey Imports." They used to be rare, but with more and more comapnies including multi-lingual packaging and manuals and world-wide warranties they have become much more common.

A "Grey Import" is when it has been imported through un-official channels, that is not through the import concession of the company who made the kit in the first place. A Head-unit for example may cost £50 to a dealer in Singapore, he sells on to a grey importer for £60 and it costs £5 to ship it to the UK in the container with all the other stuff (bear in mind this is a large scale operation.) The grey importer declares it to Customs and pays the duty bringing the price to £82.25 He sells it on to the dealer for £100 + VAT and the dealer sells it to the customer for £199.99 including VAT.

Now if the profit margins seem low to everyone bar the UK dealer it is because the importer is based abroad and has no overheads as such.

Halfords and any other mainstream retailer would not dare touch grey imports as the bad press they would get would harm them, never mind the grief they would get from the manafacturers who may block them out from buying legit goods in the future.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oooooooooooooo now i understand, so it would be ideal to get halfords to pricematch it so i get a brand spankers 1??

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
badboy 4life said:
oooooooooooooo now i understand, so it would be ideal to get halfords to pricematch it so i get a brand spankers 1??
Grey Imports are brand new and never been out the box. Just shipped in from where they retail at a price that is a fraction of what it costs here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to work for ripseed.
I think the policy is something like they can price match within 20 miles, it may be 30.
I do remember them being quite stubborn bout price matching though and products are priced rather highley.

will.

·
MIGWeb User
3,871 Posts
I got them to pricematch for my pioneer mp3 head unit. Priced at 470 golden nuggets, and they pricematched to 320 golden nuggets... quality ;0)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I spoke to a mate at ripspeed a few minutes ago and said that as long as halfords make 4% on the product they will match the price. So obviously they are not going to sell a product at a loss, and 4% is not much at all so I can see their point and I guess as with all price matching they have terms and conditions as most companies do.
;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts