Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no Idea whats going on now I feel like torching my car :( I havent even finished running it in yet and something has gone wrong but worst of all I have no Idea what it is, it was running fine when I started running it in but now there is a funny quiet knock/tap that appears to be coming from the head I think :confused: @ idle it knocks/taps about 3 times a second and goes up with the RPM it doesnt do it all the time though when the engine is cold (and the oil pressure is at 4 ~ 5 bar) it wont knock/tap untill 3000 RPM but when the engine is warmed up (oil pressure about 2 bar) it will knock from idle :confused: what the hell kind of weird fault is that :confused:

any suggestion welcome

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
funny you should say that mine did that and the oil was a bit low about 3/4 way full i topped it up to the limit mark and it was a lot better!! btw the engine is quieter on vaux 15w40 dino oil than on the 5w40 fully synth

russ u have a PM:)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after spending some time looking it over Ive decided it could be the bottom end and could even be as simple as an ARP bolt hitting the baffle plate alternatively the bottom end could be knackered :(

·
Registered
360 Posts
gutted for you. im just re-building an let engine and im praying something like that doesnt happen to me.

did you build it all yourself?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Decided from what?

Have you done the old screwdriver/metal bar to the block trick to listen where it is comming from?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
dont get down in the dumps about it, i imagine its took you long enough to get here, dont let a little knocking bother you, even if the little knocking is a big problem, get in get it sorted, itll be running sweet before you know it :)

good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
dont get down in the dumps about it, i imagine its took you long enough to get here, dont let a little knocking bother you, even if the little knocking is a big problem, get in get it sorted, itll be running sweet before you know it

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
ChrisB said:
Decided from what?

Have you done the old screwdriver/metal bar to the block trick to listen where it is comming from?
yup the screw driver test was done and it appears to be coming from cyl 4 area, its definately does not sound like the tappets/head related rattle. i mean i the head you have tappets, valves and springs im sure if a spring had bust its be a lot noiseir that that, and the tappet itself if failed would be a bit more higher pitched. only two things i can think of it at the back of the block cyl4, maybe something is vibrating as a "part" may have not been clamped down and worked loose, or the bottom end, ie a arp bolt hitting the baffle plate or the oil pickup pipe has worked loose. best thing would be to whip of the sump and take a detailed look inside.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
lets hope it is, its got to be something simple rather than something deadly other wise the engine would have packed up straight away.

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
Russ soz to here of the problems you are having, though it sounds like a lifter to me! Sure you will find the problem out though ASAP:)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
hmm thats what i couldnt work out, i mean if its the lifter surley it would be a higher pitch noise like a when tappets are cold, but this is a deeper tone more a clunk tap rather than a clic tap if u know what i mean...and it only makes the noise about 2700 rpm onwards..but it is defo coming from around cyl4 .

·
Banned
12,030 Posts
observer said:
hmm thats what i couldnt work out, i mean if its the lifter surley it would be a higher pitch noise like a when tappets are cold, but this is a deeper tone more a clunk tap rather than a clic tap if u know what i mean...and it only makes the noise about 2700 rpm onwards..but it is defo coming from around cyl4 .
I assume you have seen the engine! from that description it sounds more like the bottom end! Did they replace the small ends when they rebuilt the engine? I assume they did

1 - 20 of 31 Posts