Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I also have a metro - i now work miles from home and its cheaper than the bus, my wife uses the cavalier- My problem is when the metro does 30 mph or above it sounds like a tank, I have had a new exhaust put on but it still sounds the same. When I am doing 30 + mph, I put my foot on the clutch and rev the engine,the engine sounds wonderful, but I have no idea where this 'tank noise is coming from'

At first I thought it maybe vibration so I emptied the boot, then I thought the exhaust must be vibrating against the floor of the car but everything is where it should be, but still it sounds loud.

I have run out of ideas, any help would as always be appreciated

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Is it induction noise?

The 'A' series has it's carb right next to the bulkhead. Make sure the plastic airbox is tight upto the carb inlet throat - a leak here makes it sound like a K&N pancake filter is fitted.

Also, is there a filter in there?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, there is an air filter in the black filter box,but the 'tank noise'actually sounds like it is coming from the back of the car, thats whats got me flumixed, its a new exhaust and its away from the body, yet t sounds like its vibrating.

would the rubber rings have any affect on the exhaust if they were worn?

cheers

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Do you mean the rubber rings that suspend the exhaust? If so then, yes, they could be allowing the exhaust to vibrate onto the body.
Easiest way to check is to merely grab the (cold) exhaust pipe and wobble it about. If you hear/feel any knocking, find out where and change the rubbers.

You say it's got a new exhaust? Well, check it's still not blowing. Do this by holding a rag over the tailpipe with the engine idling. A good, sealing exhaust will make the engine splutter and (if u can hold it on long enough) will eventually make it stall.
A leaking exhaust will then cause a hissing noise from underneath, which obviously needs sorting.

Other than that, the exhaust may have a loose baffle (inside the silencer) that's rattling around. Thump the silencer boxes with your hand to see if they rattle.

Good luck, Astraderv.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its taken me from the posting date to now to find out that the problem wasn't the exhaust.

it was the bearings.

a future lesson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts