Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost finished the 1.6 rebuild!
I Have gone right through it and it didnt need much work at all.
It has only done 19000 miles though and has only done 18 months work!

Again, sorry about the size of the pics!

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Looks good. ourse the worst is yet to come - the starting up & hoping it doesn't sound like a bg of nails (I have this to look forward to as well). I'm sure it'll be fine though cos it looks a good job.

Anyone know if that thremostat housing will fit on an XE head? - either just the 'top' of it, or the whole part which bolts to the head?

Anyone got a side on view of that whole housing, or the EPC pic?

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
0ddball said:
thats a no and a no, what you want to fit it for ?
Cheers 0dders. - It's for one of them problems that I've generated myself :rolleyes:

Basically I want to mount my dry sump tank right next to the end of the rad on that side of a car (visualise a cavalier). Couple of small things about doing this though:

1. Will need to change path of rad top hose. This will require moving thermostate outlet from pointing pretty much towards from of car to more about 45 degrees to RHS. My plan (if no off the shelf alternative) was to get the top cut off, moved X degrees, then re-welded. Technically not a problem doing this.

2. Water temp sender is close to the dry sump tank as it sticks directly out of themo housing. No 'easy' fix for this. I wished this 1600 thermo housing would have fitted but doesn't look like it's gonna happen. What I'll propbably do it get sometjing like this one and a standard XE recut & welded so that the end item does what I want. Again not a real problem.

May have to go to Halford and play with the ones they got on the shelf to see what's goona work.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
well i cant help on the lower half, but some of the 8v gte thermost housing necks are short and bolt straight, instead of the customary angle, any use ?

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
humm, some good ones to look at there. I'll have to sit down with the EPC then, armed with this and my old stat, go off to halfords and have a rummage.

Least it'll keep the parts boy from chatting up the Doris on till 4. :D

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
no I'm sure i tried that and found they're not equal...

but thanks for putting a hint of doubt in my mind! I'll have to check to make sure I've not been stupid:rolleyes: (pretty sure I haven't been though)....

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
If you look at that pic that didnt work the first time,if you look under exhaust port 2(2nd from thermostat)is that a VW logo near the number 5!!

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Good thinking about an adapter plate. Would also allow use of a standard thermo housing so can be easily replaced at a later dat if needed.

Will have to check to make sure the thermostate doesn't need to seal anything 'below' the housing though, but by jove I think you may have it.

Will still need to mod the other part of it in order to move the temprature sender, but at least that will be a one-off job as that housing will never need replacing!

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
ctunnicliffe01 looks very nice and clean. My block looks like that. Did you get it chemically dipped & the water ways de-furred?

Are the pistons & valves new?

Went to Novaload to look at your feature. It says:

Plans to do next: To sell it.

Has this changed then? :p

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Might sell the end of the year. not sure yet.
Its undergone a few more changes. (or is doing) at the moment.

The head was chemically cleaned ect ect.
also alot of porting/polishing/ and oither bits done. :cool:

The engine has undergone a 2nd rebuild recently.
Had a few changes to the gearbox made also..

Should be running good 1/4 mile times this year hopefully.!

cheers m8

1 - 20 of 21 Posts