Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i have go my hands on a mk3 cav SRi 2.0. but its very under powered. 90 mph is about its lot!!!!!! i think the clutch is going, but would this reduce speed so much. it only does 65 in 3rd, my mates does 90 in 3rd!!!!!!!! Also it wont idle when starting cold, it takes a drive round the carpark and reving to make it idle. what the hell is wrong? any ideas guys and gals.

Andy

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
i only have a 1.3 carb myself but as a starting point i would suggest a full service ,plugs,filter,oil,etc then get the injectors properly cleaned this can really improve things so ive heard .
if the clutch is going it wont so much affect the speed but acceleration as it will slip .
if this dont help do a compretion test as there may be a more serious problem
ive also heard resetting the ecu is a good idead

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
it`ll probably have a close ratio gearbox in it that`ll be why you can only get to 65 in 3rd although in saying that it should revv out enough to get more than that!!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
If it`s the 8v one like mine, you`ll probably need to give the idle speed controller valve a good cleaning out with carb cleaner or similar stuff and whiule you`re at it, give all the associated pipes and hoses a good clean out as well.

You might also want to try re-setting the ECU (just dis-connect the battery for a couple of hours) just to make it re-learn everthing after you`ve serviced/cleaned it.

The cold starting thing could be your temp sensor (for the ECU) located just above the alternator, on the back of the engine at the cambelt end (little blue plug should just be visible) and also the throttle position sensor (on the back of the throttle body where the accelerator cable meets the inlet manifold) this is a little black box with another little plug connected to it but this ones black.

Try all of these including a service (full:- plugs, leads, oil, filter, rotor arm, dizzy cap, cambelt and fuel filter)and you`ll probably see/feel the difference.

Oh BTW all this is assuming that it is an 8v model not 16v!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers lads, it is the 8v i forgot that bit!!!!! ill give thoses things a try. Also what would sen the speedo out? i think its inaccurate. me and my mate were going down a straight road, my cav was pulling away and he was doing 90mph i was going about 105, 110 mph nbut the speedo said 70/80 mph (on a private road)

Andy

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Possibly a difference in wheel sizes yours may have 13`s or 14`s on it and he may have 15`s or 16`s on his, or I could be babbling complete and utter 5h1te.

But seriously though, how do you know that it`s not his speedo that`s out???? :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
The wheel size doesn't make that much different to the speedo reading. I went from 14's to 17's and the reading didn't change much. Get the car serviced and running right then you can worry about things like the speedo.

There was talk of clutch slippage - to check for this, drive along at about 20, put it in 5th, raise the revs to about 3500 and dump the clutch: the revs should drop almost instantly, if they don't then the clutch is slipping which would account for your drop in performance but if it was that bad I think it would be fairly obvious whe driving the car.

From the starting problems, it sounds like ignition problems, probably due to a lack of servicing. Replace the leads, dizzy, rotor arm, plugs and things usually improve immensely(sp?).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HELLO,

I have a brand new problem now!!!!!!!! The engine wont work!!! it struggles in second, gets to 4000 rpm and stops, just sits there at 4000 rpm, if i give it 3rd gear it dies. blues flames come out of the exhuast aswell.

Stuff this cavalier SRi, im saving for a GSi 2000.

Andy

·
Registered
672 Posts
Here's a guess then, how about a cam belt movement? If it had skipped a tooth (unlikely) or the pulley had stretched the key (more likely), it would give most of what you get. Cam timing gets critical as the revs go up, which may explain why yours can't go very high. It would also explain the flames, as the exhaust valves are being opened earlier than they should.

Open up the cam belt cover, and see if you can get the timing marks to line up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.