Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year it walked it, nothing wrong. This year...well I don't know of anything it could fail on. Emissions are the only unsure thing.

Any one want to place bets on anything it might fail on?

(The MOT isn't atually due until the 22nd of February but I thought I'd give myself some time to fix anything that was wrong)

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
mine passed 2 weeks ago, and what made it better is i didnt know the blighters were gonna do it, got rid of that whole expectant father thing.

definates are "bit of play" in rear wheel bearing, handbrake "a bit stiff"

Lazyness is no ally, get out and check the easy things, like split driveshaft gaitors, external illumination, ABS sensors (or take the bulb out for the test wink wink) Tyres and rust.

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tyres - Brand New
Abs Sensors - Faulty but only when driving, light will come on when you hit 20-30mph or so but not at idle
Rust - Only on the arch
CV gaitors are OK last time I checked (which was about 2 weeks ago)
Lights I will check tonight.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
TBH I reckon you will be OK. You have sorted the problems out and spent the wonga when you needed to (tyres etc.)
Hopefully you will be rewarded with an MoT pass, if not then u have allowed time to sort it.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I forgot you still had that problem.

This is all I can find on the ABS check:

"Inside the car
Anti-lock braking system (if fitted) Warning lamp is checked for:
• Function.
• Sequence of operation. Footbrake
• Reserve travel on the footbrake so that it does not go down to the floor
• Pedal rubber not worn to excess
• Correct operation of the servo assistance system."

Not sure how seriously they take the warning light if it just came on but the brakes worked ok.

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if they have those. Hmmm, I don't even think its the sensor thats faulty but the driveshaft toothed wheel.

Maybe I should leave early and fix that :eek:

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
Cemesis said:
Not sure if they have those. Hmmm, I don't even think its the sensor thats faulty but the driveshaft toothed wheel.

Maybe I should leave early and fix that :eek:
If you can it would probably be a good idea.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
i thought all MOT stations had a rolling road, otherwise how do they do the brake test ?

on the road is fine, except it wont show up specific faults, i.e rear left braking half as much as rear right. rollers do all that.

·
Registered
12,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wondered how they did the test too.

I'll leave as soon as I can from work and I'll take the driveshaft out :( Didn't really want to as I'm lazy :p

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Its like a rolling road, the rollers spin on there own power, then when the brakes are applied the car is meant to jump off (Like mine didn't last year) lmao

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Miles said:
Its like a rolling road, the rollers spin on there own power, then when the brakes are applied the car is meant to jump off (Like mine didn't last year) lmao
kind off, all except the jump off bit. they are just powered rollers and measure how much force your brakes can provide to stop them rolling.

Quite interesting to know the results actually i have the pink slip from when i had my 16v brakes on, then the following year with thw V6 brakes. the figure went up by 30 units, i dont know exactly what scale they use, could be lb/ft i suppose.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Must have been a different type then, cause mine jumped off! :p

I saw it at the mot test then at the retest after fitting new rear cylinders.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The rollers are generator powered and are set to a certian level.

Most MOT stantions only have a twin roller set up so 4wd cras are road tested for brake efficiency. Or they are meant to be. Most monkey mot testers just go ahead and do the 2wd test and arse things up.

Chris

·
Registered
17,928 Posts
Just get on with it! Better of knowing that wondering.
I hate that feeling of nervous anticipation when you walk back to the garage. Only this year he said "no problem except that tyre".
Rubbing it in? Nah.

·
Registered
10,061 Posts
I always stay with them as they do it, and make it clear to them that THEY will NOT be doing any work to it if it fails. Discourages them from doing the old knife to the CV gaitor failure and repair.

I still get very nervous though when I hear him take a sharp intake of breath as he focuses his torch somewhere.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts