Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if its been posted before, but this is the scam.

They’ll call your phone once, enough for your mobile to read that it has a missed call… you go to your ‘Missed Call List’ and you’ll see the number beginning with 07090 or 007090.

DO NOT CALL THESE BACK

They are virus calls which means once you call them back off your mobile, they are charged at £5 per minute, even if you cut the call of, it keeps the line live and continues to use all your credit/ minutes.

This is a premium rate number as I tried to call it back from my work phone where premium rates are barred.

Just thought I’d warn those who don’t know about it.

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
OK, well a scam, not a virus.

It will not be an 00709 number as that is an international code that they would make nothing from if you called.

With 07090 The maximum call charge is £1.50 a minute.

They can't keep the call live once you have terminated it at your end.

But yes, nasty little trick the same. Had mine ring once yesterday and it was an 07090

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trevor said:
It will not be an 00709 number as that is an international code that they would make nothing from if you called.
Trevor, trust me it is an 00709 number :rolleyes:

if you want me to take a picture of my phone i will, don't tell me "It will not be", because it is. :rolleyes:

They've called me using the number.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
We've had emails about this sorta thing at work, but it actually is a MOBILE VIRUS. "They" ring your mobile and when you answer its just silent but it erases ALL your sim card and phone IMEI number so its completely useless. Nokia and Motorola (i think) have confimed that this is going on and are working on a system for this to stop happening. When I get to work tonight, I'll forward that email to my home e-mail and post it on here.

·
Registered
19,143 Posts
007 is the international number code for a Columbian operator, and not a premium rate number. I don't know what they gain by you calling other than perhaps verifying your number exists. Any gen on this aspect would be appreciated.

Mobile phone viruses do not exist. Show me any documentry proof that they do and I will accept that and say that I am wrong. By documentry proof I mean anything on a manafacturer's web site, not an email you recieved at work. Do you really think someone can drop a virus on your mobile by ringing it? Tell you what, send me a fiver and I will ring your mobile and drop a virus cleaner on it for you...

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Re: Mobile Phone Scam, Please Read…

opelastra said:
We've had emails about this sorta thing at work, but it actually is a MOBILE VIRUS. "They" ring your mobile and when you answer its just silent but it erases ALL your sim card and phone IMEI number so its completely useless. Nokia and Motorola (i think) have confimed that this is going on and are working on a system for this to stop happening. When I get to work tonight, I'll forward that email to my home e-mail and post it on here.
Sorry, but that's a crock of sh*t.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Almost any programmable device with an open port has the potential to be virus'ed - a mobile phone is no exception. You're able to download and automatically run a huge variety of programs and media on mobile phones nowadays, it's a bit naive to believe no-one has written something malicious by now.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Sorry, but that's a crock of sh*t.

There's no need to get shirty, i'm only passing on what i've been told! Wether it's accurate or not, this e-mail we got at work was sent by the company secretary and therefore seems genuine!

Do you really think someone can drop a virus on your mobile by ringing it?
Why does that seem so unlikely? Most mobile phones these days are WAP enabled and therefore capable of downloading, ie. ringtones, wallpapers etc. So isn't it possible for a virus to be downloaded?

·
Registered
34,309 Posts
No number calling your phone can do that sort of thing in terms of wiping out numbers etc.

Its a scam to get you to call an international premium rate number, and cause its "0070" at first glance it just looks like a uk mobile number.

Often the other end will just play a tape of a phone ringing so you think you arent even connected yet but you are and you are paying through the nose for it.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

chip said:
Often the other end will just play a tape of a phone ringing so you think you arent even connected yet but you are and you are paying through the nose for it.
lmao Keep it simple! The best scams are always the simple ones.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts

opelastra said:
There's no need to get shirty, i'm only passing on what i've been told! Wether it's accurate or not, this e-mail we got at work was sent by the company secretary and therefore seems genuine!
First thing I do when I receive an email about a virus, BEFORE I FORWARD IT TO ANYONE, is go onto one of the Anti virus software vendors websites and check for hoaxes that match the description of the email I've recieved.

Generally that prevents me from forwarding hoax emails all over the place and creating more internet traffic and panic for no reason.

I get stuff like this sent to me by our company directors from time to time. They've usually sent it to everyone in our company. So, I end up sending another email to everyone in the company telling them it's a hoax.

Always worth checking up before you panic and forward stuff like this.

PS. I wasn't getting shirty, no offence intended. It's just stuff like this wastes a lot of my time at work, so winds me up a tad. ;)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

opelastra said:
Why does that seem so unlikely? Most mobile phones these days are WAP enabled and therefore capable of downloading, ie. ringtones, wallpapers etc. So isn't it possible for a virus to be downloaded?
yeah but were talking about phone calls here not downloading java games and using bluetooth etc.

Trevor's right, two other threads recently have been posted about something similar, it's a load of tosh just ignore it.

Neil

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
SteveW said:
PS. I wasn't getting shirty, no offence intended.

Apology accepted, prob me being over-reactive. Like I said, I only passed on what I've been told. If its in-accurate, I apologise, but that's what forums like this are all about; telling people about their experiences and providing information. ;)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

for god sake olly was only trying help a few hundred people who just mite call it back!
does it matter if it a scam or virus! what is it with people on here!......... :(

lee

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

stumpy said:
for god sake olly was only trying help a few hundred people who just mite call it back!
does it matter if it a scam or virus! what is it with people on here!......... :(
I don't mind the posts, it's just when they are wrong or inacurate that it gets annoying as people start worrying over nothing.

Neil

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.