Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure this qualifies as a project/restoration job yet, but I'm here for advice, pretty torn on what to do. Got an 03 MK4 Gsi which I bought with 35k on, looked and drove perfect, but had been bumped which meant respray. Still have the car now at 171k but the paint on both wings, driver door, bonnet, and front bumper has deteriorated badly and it's very obvious being black.

Car also has a persistent oil leak, puller fan needs swapping, and new strut top mounts (bought).

To sort the bodywork properly, it needs to go back to bare metal and I'm looking between £3-4k to get that done well, with no recurrence of the problem.

Simple question - get the paint sorted, or sell the car?

Had it 13 years in July and I'm struggling to come to a decision.

Thanks,
Paul.

·
Registered
493 Posts
have a go at the painting yourself, get a few cans of primer, plenty cans of paint and lacquer, some filler, various grit sandpaper, cleaning wipes, masking tape rolls, etc.
itll cost you a few hundred, that way, instead of a few thousand.

rad fans dont cost too much, and fairly easy to change.
strut tops easy to change, and you already have the parts.
oil leak may be harder to find, but the cam cover gasket, is fairly common on the z20. sump gasket is a possible too, youll have to mop up, and clean off any oil around the engine, to find where its source is.

upto you tho really paul, depends on how much you like the car, and motivation/enthusiam levels.
if you wanted to sell it, i'd hazard a guess, and say youd get between 1000-1500 for how it is now (depending on mods), although not many people seem to be buying cars at the moment, with this fakerona lockdown crap going on.

put some pics up, of the body damage, and can go from there.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I agree fully with what nova just said, You obviously like the car as you have had it for years and surely you know whats wrong or not with the car over the years.
My car is matt black now but when it was silver i painted the entire kit myself and it actually looked great...rattle cans and a bit of sanding and looked good as i didnt have ££ to throw at a paint job and the pride of a job well done helps.
You might be able to source a donor black gsi with no engine or rear end damage for less than that respray job and replace the panels you and then scrap or sell the rest? you might end up making more of a profit even.
Also vinyl wrap is a lot cheaper which may be a good option...just sand and prep/prime the panels.
As for top mounts its only a 10 min job. hope this also helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts