Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the mitsubishi evo has an external spray system which sprays externally onto the intercooler surface as a fine mist to aid cooling the charge temp
is it possible to activate such a system using my water injection so that as the water injection sysytem is activated the spray system is also activated
are the any advantages in externally spraying the intercooler when water injection is already present

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You wont be able to use the water injection pump to do this as it cannot move enough water to cool the i/c sufficiently.

You are better off with a 12volt water pump (i'm using a caravan pump which can move more water than my fuel pump can)

You will also need some form of control device as you only need to spray water when the charge temp or i/c core temp is above a certain point.

You will also need a big tank for the water.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was thinking more in the terms of would the power which goes to the wi pump whic is activated via mf2 be able to run another pump as you mentioned if i bridged the power wires over
that way the pump would be activated only when my wi is activated
could possibly use a wi type nozzle as i have a spare lying around

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
tabs said:
i was thinking more in the terms of would the power which goes to the wi pump whic is activated via mf2 be able to run another pump as you mentioned if i bridged the power wires over
that way the pump would be activated only when my wi is activated
could possibly use a wi type nozzle as i have a spare lying around
Thats exactly the set up I have - use a headlight washer pump and two fine misting jets (I think I might have two still spare that fit exactly on the headlight washer hose).

I don't thinbk it is really goiung to make much performance difference though, just another 'nice to have' really.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
A fine mist spray does not work on i/c cores. You need more water to ultise the cooling effect of water. Also you want to have the water spray when the i/c is hot not just when the water injection is spraying.

Get a second pump, some form of controller. Autospeed.com sells a programable one. I have one for sale which is the autospeed one.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello Damian666

Imcsherry did your system make much difference to perfromance/charge temp if not then best not to do it as the whole front bumper has to come off together with all the hassle of plumbing in a water tank pipes etc

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
tabs said:
Imcsherry did your system make much difference to perfromance/charge temp if not then best not to do it as the whole front bumper has to come off together with all the hassle of plumbing in a water tank pipes etc
I didn't have my charge temp gauge fitted and working with the misting jets (as its now been sent away for replacement). when the car is back and running correctly I'll be doing a bit of 'experimenting' but TBH I don't think its going to make that much difference especially as I'm running a FMIC, charge cooler and water injection. But ever bit helps;)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
SammyP said:
Just run your water injection and buy a big FMIC
But this doesnt not reduce the temperature of the i/c core which has increased cause by heat soak from the radiator.

Thats what a good water spray system should do. You should really be using some agricutural spray nozzels as used for crop spraying. And a pump that can move lots of water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts