Vauxhall Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been almost a year since i did my conversion. As far as i remember it was simply the case of unplugging my "coil adapter" which is a short custom wired harness, and pluggin the end of the MBE loom straight into the diss-pack. But the diss-pack has a 4 pin junior timer style plug, then end of the MBE loom with the yellow band marked "coil" has a 3 pin junior timer connector.

Now, did i fit this 3 pin junior timer to the main MBE loom myself so that my coil adapter harness fitted, i cant remember. I have a 4 pin junior timer blank in the leftover bits. This theory kinda fits, but the 4 coil wiring diagrams that SBD gave me make no sense. theres 4 piccies, bosch coil, corsa coil/amplifier, ford dizzyless, sagem-valeo-siemens coil.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
The pins can be taken out of the 3 pin connector and put in the 4 pin one easy enough.

The ford loom I got with this DTA ECU had 12V +ve, Coil 1 Gnd and Coil 2 Gnd. This was in a 4 pin mini timer with one pin not used. Aparantly for a Valeo coil.

This didn't match up with the wiring diagram for the X14XE DIS coil. The pins needed to be swapped round and a GND pin added (Dunno why?). So I swapped the pins and just added the 4th pin with a 30cm or so length of wire and ring tab terminal to bolt to GND. Too much hastle to take it back to the ECU.

·
Registered
30,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ChrisB said:
The ford loom I got with this DTA ECU had 12V +ve, Coil 1 Gnd and Coil 2 Gnd. This was in a 4 pin mini timer with one pin not used. Aparantly for a Valeo coil.
yeah that fits with this diagram.

I think the mbe loom came with bare wires for the coil drive, i just noticed the 3 pin timer has black tape round it, suggesting some human intervention. I think i melted the shrink wrap stuff too much and it tore.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Hmm, have you got any more gen on this?

Got the updated ECU back today and gave it a try. Everything seems to work apart from the sparks.

All the wiring diagrams say that the pins are 1 = +12V, 2 = GND, 3 = Coil A, 4 = Coil B.

Anyone know if the standard setup is GND switched or 12V switched? DTA is GND switched.

This is how it's set up. I assumed Coil A = DTA Coil 1 (Cyl 1,4), and B = Coil 2 (Cyl 2,3).

Cheers, Chris.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Yeah, GM stamped on the side...

The SBD site doesn't mention a coil swap with their kits. Just shows a different coil you can use that's supposed to be more reliable.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts

This is the coil.
Does this have its own amplifier bits in it or not? The 20XE DIS setup looks like it has a seperate coil amp setup.

Cheers, Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts