Vauxhall Owners Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
From reading a report from another thread about this mod, another step in the process popped up.

When doing the initial adjustment with the ICV unplugged it is very important to ensure there is an opening of at least 2mill visible, otherwise the engine gets too little air to even fire up. Now it will rev a little high at start up, and will need to be trimmed down. Don't overdo it either, else it might be too lean and may not fire up easily either. Obviously this little initial process goes without the ECU being able to control the ICV, so you are the master of the process here. When finished and the ICV adjusted and plugged back on everything will be back to normal off course.

·
Registered
17,044 Posts
Nice one Vinci, so could this also be my issue on my Ecotec Calibra since you said this valve is used on many other cars including Ferraris, My engine idles around 900rpm, when things are normal, it is a bit high, I think it should be about 850RPM, any ways every time I slow down and pull at traffic lights or in slow moving que, my engine idles around 1000 to 1100rpm, for a good few seconds and wont come down to its idle speed, often i have to let the clutch out a bit to slow it down under load, then it slows down and idles as it should even if the drive is fully disengaged, i.e. clutch is now fully pressed down. Or do you think my Ideal speed control valve needs good cleaning?

·
Registered
459 Posts
After many miles I still stand by this adjustment method by the way, I can not fault anything about how the engine responds. If I must describe the way it runs, I would say just buttery smooth. Idle revs are 100% stable and incredibly consistent. Off course the engine itself is very healthy and all functioning and original (crank ventilation works as it should, so no oil in the intake AT ALL!!)
I've just stumbled across this old thread and thought 'what a good idea' so got to work on my own ICV (Cavalier mk2, XE) Problem is, after getting all the epoxy out I couldn't turn the screw, and the allen key just mangled it. Any ideas on what to do now? :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I'd say drill it out and if the thread are knackered after that, just tap it to a larger size and get a grub screw to fit. You can get rid of any swarf by opening the valve with a small stick and then a wood pencil and blow wit compressed air whilst holding the opening down.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd say drill it out and if the thread are knackered after that, just tap it to a larger size and get a grub screw to fit. You can get rid of any swarf by opening the valve with a small stick and then a wood pencil and blow wit compressed air whilst holding the opening down.
I drilled it through the center and then used an 'easy-out' to try and unscrew it. I now have a snapped hardened steel easy-out stuck inside, not much hope of recovery now. Maybe you got lucky with yours, but despite very careful attention and plenty of plus-gas there was no way mine was gonna move. I guess that little brass screw was pretty well attached to the aluminium body after 30 years! Anyone got a spare ICV ? I was so looking forward to curing my XE woes :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
459 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I would say an old Bosch unit is fine, they don't really break very easily. The Chinese units are probably good quality too, so at the price they ask might not be a bad idea to stock one up...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I would say an old Bosch unit is fine, they don't really break very easily. The Chinese units are probably good quality too, so at the price they ask might not be a bad idea to stock one up...
But I wonder whether the factory setting on the Bosch original units is the same as set on these cheaper versions?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The factory setting on the Bosch is incorrect anyway, hence this thread. Apart from that, any margins will be swallowed up by the ECU.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The factory setting on the Bosch is incorrect anyway, hence this thread. Apart from that, any margins will be swallowed up by the ECU.
Hey Vinci, I fitted my new ICV and fiddled with the adjustment but can't get my revs to drop below 1100 whatever I do. Engine runs sweet on acceleration, but driving at low speeds is anything other than smooth! I've tried adjusting AFM but no noticeable difference. Judging by the plugs it's running very rich on tickover. Any tips on what to try next to get this running smoothly would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Temp sensor swapped already? This is a prime suspect. Then TPS, sometimes it is worn out, or wiring defective and it'll not register for the ECU to go at idle mode. Are you running M2.5?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Temp sensor swapped already? This is a prime suspect. Then TPS, sometimes it is worn out, or wiring defective and it'll not register for the ECU to go at idle mode. Are you running M2.5?
No, not changed the temp sensor but I'll try that first, once I've found a part number for it :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
You can find partnumbers on catcar.info

21 - 34 of 34 Posts